White Rodgers thermostat humidifier wiring

Old 09-13-16, 09:35 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
White Rodgers thermostat humidifier wiring

Hi,

I'm installing a new thermostat (White Rodgers 1F95-1291) and combining my humidistat to get rid of the old clunky box. I have two wires in the humidistat that I need to incorporate into the thermostat and am not quite sure how to wire them. I've followed the orange and brown humidistat wires down to the furnace and I'll try and describe what I'm seeing:

1. The orange wire goes to what appears to be a small transformer and connects to the 24VA terminal.

2. The brown wire is spliced with one of two ends of a black wire that carries on up to the humidifier. The other end is attaching to the 12V terminal of the same transformer described in 1. and travels up to the humidifier. (Put another way, a black wire originates at the humidifier and is split with one end connected to the 12V terminal and the other end travelling up to the thermostat via the brown wire).

3. The transformer is then plugged into the circuit board of the furnace.

I need to know what the orange and brown wires plug into on the thermostat. The 1F95-1291 only has a spot for one humidifier wire called HUM which I'm assuming would be my brown wire to control the humidifier solenoid, but where does the orange wire go?

Here is a link to the manual:
White Rodgers (1F95-1291):http://www.emersonclimate.com/Docume.../0037-7313.pdf

Any help would be appreciated, and let me know if I'm not being clear. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-13-16, 11:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Ok.... just to let you know.... you're not being very clear.
You mixed 24vac with 12v. There is no 12v in heating systems.

What is important is that you left out what humidifier you're using.

Based on your "description" of wiring I'm going to assume you have a 24vac humidifier that requires 24vac to operate.

If that is the case..... one wire goes from the humidifier to the C terminal at the furnace and the other wire goes to the HM terminal on the stat.

Name:  hum_wiring.JPG
Views: 910
Size:  14.6 KB

Old 09-14-16, 05:25 AM
T
Thanks PJmax, I'll try and be more clear.

The model of the humidifier is the Generalaire M3, and the model of the transformer is the UM-12. I've added a picture to try and clarify the setup I was describing (hopefully it's not too small).

Name:  Furnace Transformer.jpg
Views: 1833
Size:  9.1 KB

The question is how to I hook up the orange and brown wires up at the thermostat, or do I need to reconfigure the setup down at the furnace? Thanks again.

Old 09-14-16, 09:33 AM
T
Just wanted to add that I just chatted with the tech support at White Rodgers. He advised to connect the brown wire to the HM terminal and the orange wire to either the RC or RH terminal (the jumper wire between RC and RH is still in so the terminal I choose doesn't matter). This is the way I originally set it up and it wasn't working for me.

Old 09-14-16, 11:17 AM
Group Moderator
You have two wires coming from the humidifier..... brown and black.

You should be making the wiring connections at the furnace but if you want to use brown and orange at the thermostat...... take the orange and black wires off the transformer and connect together.

At the thermostat end.... brown to HM is fine and orange to C.
The HM output is 24vac and the C is common.

Tech service reads from the manual and in this case the manual is not shown correctly or understandably.

In your drawing..... you are using a 24vac 12va transformer. The 12va stands for watts.... current supplying ability of the transformer. The 12va is not a label for a connection.

Old 09-14-16, 12:07 PM
T
Thank you PJmax, that's very helpful. The 12va label was confusing me as it's right beside the terminal, thanks for explaining that to me. I'll try what you suggested when I get home tonight, I have renewed hope.

I already have a 'C' wire from the furnace to the thermostat, I'm assuming that won't impact anything with the wiring you suggested?

Sounds like the easiest approach may be for me to take the transformer out of the equation and have the black going from humidifier to furnace 'C', and the brown going from humidifier to thermostat HM, and just capping the orange at the thermostat end (not connected).

Old 09-14-16, 12:26 PM
Group Moderator
Yes.... there are several ways to make the connection.

Old 09-15-16, 08:21 AM
T
So I finished wiring and everything appears to be working the way it should, thanks for the help.

One question which might be a little specific to my thermostat (White Rodgers 1F95-1291) but when I was testing the humidifier the "Hum On" indicator wouldn't light up on the thermostat like it should according to the manual. I went down and checked and the humidifier seemed to be working correctly, so I'm not sure if this is a concern or not. Thoughts?

Old 09-15-16, 11:04 AM
Group Moderator
That would be a tech service question.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: