Central heating thermostatic incorrectly wired ?

Old 02-14-17, 01:28 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Central heating thermostatic incorrectly wired ?

Hello

Until recently our boiler worked fine. However at a recently British gas check the engineer said it was wired incorrectly.

The issue is that the boiler until switches on (i.e. Gets power) once the thermostat kicks in (i.e. When the temperature drops below the set limit) the engineer said basically the boiler was resetting each time it came on.

Is this an easy fix ? Something I could do or do I need to call an electrician ?

Cheers
Phil

Old 02-14-17, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I'm no boiler guy, but I think even they may have trouble understanding what you've written.

The issue is that the boiler until switches on (i.e. Gets power) once the thermostat kicks in (i.e. When the temperature drops below the set limit)
Boiler until switches on? What the heck does that mean?

Perhaps you should re-write it clearly as to the issue the engineer says is there.

And I don't think it would be an electrician, but a specialized boiler technician.

Old 02-14-17, 09:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the UK.

It would be helpful to know if this is a hydronic boiler with circulating hot water or a steam boiler.

With boilers there are two types of systems.
The first type is called cold start. It only heats when the thermostat calls for heat.
The other type is called warm start and maintains a minimum running temperature at all times and then increases it on a demand for heat from the thermostat.

Old 02-14-17, 11:24 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sorry I'll try to explain...

We have a Worcester Bosch boiler... and pressurised system.

The heating works fine. However when we had our boiler inspection by British Gas, the engineer said it had not been wired up correctly (electrically). The boiler should have a constant electric current, however what happens is the electric only flows and turns on the boiler (electrically) once the thermostatic kicks in when the heating starts. Once the temperature reaches the correct heat, the heating stops (as it should do) but power to the boiler also stops. The engineer said this is bad for the circuit board as the boiler is "re-booting" every time the heating turns on.

I'm guessing it's wired incorrectly from the thermostat as it worked ok until we had to have the whole system removed when we were flooded.

hope this is easier to understand.... I guess I should just get an electrician... just thought it might be something easy to solve.

Old 02-14-17, 11:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Ok.... that explains the problem better but the repair may be a little harder.

It would appear that you have a line voltage thermostat that is switching the 230v to the entire boiler. Yes.... the inspector is correct and that is wrong.

You would need to determine if the power came in to the thermostat and was switched there..... or was connected to the boiler and then a thermostat switch line was run.

This may require an electrician as the wiring connections will need to be redone.
Hopefully the mains wiring goes directly to the boiler which should keep the repair at a minimum cost.

Old 02-14-17, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Thank you for the re-write Phil, even I understood that...lol. Not that I could have helped in any event.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: