Replace Whalen line voltage thermostat with Honeywell or similar


Old 06-24-17, 09:52 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: usa
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replace Whalen line voltage thermostat with Honeywell or similar

I have a Whalen P/N 33979 line voltage thermostat in my condominium. It is 25 years old and I want to upgrade it to a newer unit. I am having trouble finding a company that will do it, or knows how to do it.
The HVAC system is electric heat and A/C both fan driven. The electric heat is not baseboard and the A/C is cold water from the building's chiller.
I know I have to convert the AC voltage to 24V and need a relay. But I cannot find something specific on how to wire the conversion.
Old 06-24-17, 12:10 PM
Houston204's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,425
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
The chilled water air handlers that I install rarely come with any controls. The transformer, contactor, float switch, and actuators are field installed.
I wouldn't recommend that a home owner should attempt this as a DIY project.

Honeywell has the Suitepro line of digital high voltage thermostats that you might consider if you cannot find a contractor willing to update the controls on an old air conditioner.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: