Help wiring new thermostat

Old 10-03-17, 08:29 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help wiring new thermostat

Just moved into a new apartment and want to change to a programmable thermostat. Old stat is a Bestech bt21np, new one is a Honeywell RTH6350. Air Handler/Coils is a Goodman AWUF240516BA. I've got 6 wires out of the wall, as well as an additional jumper between two connections. I've attached a picture of the old stat and it's wiring, I apologize for the sticker labels, I had already begun the installation before I realized it wouldn't be that easy. The 2nd picture is where I'm at on the new stat.

I don't know the condenser model, I'm on the 3rd floor and it's behind the building on the ground floor. I'm trying to avoid having to call a professional, I'm not sure I've even allowed to change out the thermostat. But being on the 3rd floor, I want a programmable unit to save on costs rather than forget and run the unit while I'm not here.

I need to tape off the C wire (black), but the honeywell manuel says if you have a Y1, W1 and W2 wire to contact a professional, I'm hoping you guys can be that for me. Nowhere does it account for what to do with that W2 jumper that was on the original stat. I could always leave it off and see what happens, but I'm a newbie at this and don't want to cause irreversible damage.

Thank you for any and all help.

Attached Images   

Last edited by PJmax; 10-03-17 at 08:35 PM. Reason: crop and enhance images
Old 10-03-17, 08:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,145 Upvotes on 3,722 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Too late now but DON'T allow that C to touch any wires or you will do damage. Tape it off and tuck it away. Don't cut it off.

Your wiring is fine. The Honeywell will take care of the heat just fine.

Old 10-03-17, 08:53 PM
A
So I don't need to worry about the brown W2 jumper (not pictured) from the original stat?

I just taped off the C wire, stuck on the face plate and switched the power back on. Cold air started right up so that's a good sign, we'll see how the heat goes in a few weeks. Regarding the settings, I chose:

Function 1, Setting 5: Heat pump with backup or aux heating
Function 6, setting 9: Electric furnace

I'm not sure if I should have chose a multiple stage setting such as function 7, two heat states (wires on W and W2) and one cooling stage on Y.

Again, thank you so much for your help.

Old 10-03-17, 09:01 PM
Group Moderator
You want heat pump with backup electric heat. Check the heat now before you need it.

Function 7 probably won't be available with function 1 set to 5.

Old 10-03-17, 09:23 PM
A
I'm sorry, I mean to say setting 7 for function 1.

I've just turned on the heat and set it to 80, heat switched over after the 5 minute reboot. Waiting now for the compressor to reboot again because I accidentally switched it back over to AC when trying to test the emergency heat to make sure that works. Will post again if any issues, but otherwise I think I'm all set to go.

Old 10-03-17, 09:34 PM
A
Ok, I just had the thermostat set to 85 while it was 72 in the apartment. Thermostat called for aux heat but I didn't notice an increase in hot air from the vents. The heat was definitely on, but I'm not sure the coils actually kicked in. Is there a way to test or troubleshoot this?

Old 10-04-17, 07:51 PM
A
Any ideas on how to test if my secondary heat (electric coils) are kicking in. This afternoon I set the thermostat to emergency heat and cranked it up to 85. The heat definitely turned on but I honestly didn't notice a difference between the air coming from the vents on emergency heat and when just the regular heat is on.

Old 10-04-17, 07:55 PM
Group Moderator
You check by turning off the outside condensor so that just the inside air handler runs. Depending on the size of the electric element...... you may not feel a lot of difference.

The electric reheats will come on automatically when the room temp is 3 or more degrees below the set point.

Old 10-04-17, 08:27 PM
A
Thank you for the response. I'm not sure I'm able to turn off the outside condenser since I'm in the apartment. I'm not even sure how I'd determine which one is mine since there are like 8 in a row. I'll do some looking around to see if that's possible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: