Smart thermostat recommendation for a hybrid system

Old 12-29-17, 08:18 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smart thermostat recommendation for a hybrid system

Hi there. First post. I looked around and didnt see this topic covered, but let me know if I looked in the wrong place.

I have a hybrid system. I have forced air for the main floor and basement and electric floorboard heating for the top floor. I think the theory is that heat rises and so the top floor only needs a little nudge in the right direction so this use of floorboard heaters is supposed to be economical... But I have autistic sons and they like to do drastic things with heater controls.

I would like to find a smart home system that can handle managing both. Is there a single system on the market that can control both the forced air heater for the main part of the house and the six other floorboard heaters on the top floor? If not one system, are there two that would play nicely together.

As a bonus, I would love some form of child locks as well, so they could turn the heat up a little, but not too high.

Old 12-30-17, 12:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
Can we have a little more information about your setup?

The forced air on the first floor is what type of heat?
A gas furnace? Boiler? Heat pump?

What type of thermostats do you currently have?

Is the floor heating in any way associated with the forced air heat at this time?

Old 01-02-18, 07:56 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The main floor is a gas furnace. The thermostat that I have now is a basic non-programmable thermostat with a standard wire, but I am more than capable of pulling the correct wiring through, depending on what system I go with. The baseboard heaters are each simple circuit thermostats that are not connected to each other or the main system.

Old 01-02-18, 11:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Six electric baseboard heaters each with their own thermostat ?
That's not going to be easy to integrate into anything.
How many circuits are they on and are they 120v or 240v units ?

Electric baseboard heaters are usually considered standalone heaters and wouldn't be connected to the thermostat controlling the first floor furnace.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: