Damper wires pulled out

Old 01-18-18, 08:05 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Damper wires pulled out

While I was running Ethernet through my crawl space, I believe I pulled some wires from one of the dampers, but I didn't notice until a few minutes later. I found 3 wire (Red, white, and green) wrapped in a brown insulation. The wire was fairly close to a damper. That damper had simpler wires already attached to it. Only the green and white were attached though. The red wire not attach to the damper. I'm guessing that when the first set of wires came out that it pulled the red one from the second set of wires loose, but I could be wrong. The second set of wires were attached as follows: The second set of wire were attached to the common and open positions.

Things to know:
-I have a 2 zone system
-damper: zonefirst/product/mdm-modulating-zone-damper-motor/
-The damper is found around 5' away from the furnace.
-Thermostat: Lennox 51M34

Questions:
-Is it possible that both sets of wires were attached to this damper? Or should I look for another one near by? I did see one while I was down there.
-Do I need to attach all the wire, or only 2?
-Do I only need to turn off power to the furnace while doing this, or is there something else that I need to remove power from.

Thank for any help

Last edited by PJmax; 01-18-18 at 08:14 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 01-18-18, 08:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
If you have a two zone system then you have at least two dampers. I guess it's possible for there to be two dampers in a particular zone.

Those damper motors require three wires to operate.... common, open and closed.
There should be a zoning control board at the air handler where you could see what function each color is.

Old 01-19-18, 07:28 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There was another damper not that far away, but once I had a closer look at things I notice that the builder had wired the open and close wires for the damper backward. I reversed these, and solved another problem I had suspected for awhile.

The problem now is if both systems try to come on the furnace stops. I can run both zones, but not at the same time. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: