Installing Ecobee 4 this weekend

Old 12-06-18, 01:54 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing Ecobee 4 this weekend

Hi all

I am going to install an Ecobee 4 with remote sensor this weekend,

I dont foresee much of an issue, as I had previously pulled new 7 wire thermostat cable (plenty of extra wires), but I do have two questions:
  1. Is connecting my humidifier a case of simply connecting one of the solenoid wires to the ACC+ on the stat and the other to the C wire?
  2. Does this thermostat work without wifi, in the case of an ISP outage?

I currently have the Honeywell RTH6580WF installed and an Aprilaire (500m) humidifier. I opted to go with the Ecobee 4 as it can replace the controller.

I am pretty sure I am good for install, just wanted to double check here before diving in

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-18, 06:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,187 Votes on 1,098 Posts
Is connecting my humidifier a case of simply connecting one of the solenoid wires to the ACC+ on the stat and the other to the C wire? The ACC+ terminal and the C terminal on the furnace board or C lead.

Does this thermostat work without wifi, in the case of an ISP outage? Yes..... it just becomes a standard thermostat. It can't show the weather. It can't get the local temperature and you can't access it from outside the house.

Old 12-06-18, 09:06 PM
S
I was wrong. Itís an Aprilaire 600.

the controller actually has THREE thermostat cables to it:

Cable1: from furnace to controller
Cable2: appears to be AC condenser (outside) to controller
Cable 3: two wires to the solenoid

now I am thoroughly confused as to how to wire this to Ecobee. My initial thought is to just leave the wires at the humidistat/controller alone and just attach one wire from Ecobee to the solenoid (leave the other to the old controller/try to trace to C wire)

i need to figure out how to attach pics these days. Itís been a while

Old 12-06-18, 10:20 PM
Group Moderator
How-to-insert-pictures

Even with the 600...... you don't use the humidistat.
One solenoid wires goes to C and one goes to ACC+.

Old 12-07-18, 07:06 AM
S
Thanks!

So, my plan is now:
  • trace one wire from the C terminal in the furnace panel to the humidistat/controller
  • splice that with one wire one of the wires that goes from humidistat/controller to the solenoid (wire nut, I mean)
  • disconnect the other wire to the solenoid and attach it now to the ACC+ on the Ecobee

After researching more last night, it appears that my current humidistat/controller has one cable to furnace (this is the one I will use for my C wire to solenoid), one cable to solenoid (this is the one that I will use for the last leg of ACC+ to solenoid), and one cable to an outside sensor.

I am guessing that I just disconnect any other unused wires in the old humidistat? Assuming I am correct about the outside sensor as the third cable, the only confusion on my part is what to do with the extra wire in the cable from humidistat/controller to furnace. Assuming one is attached to C, I wonder what the other one is attached to (each cable has two wires in it, attached in controller).

Here are some links to images (I will have to use desktop to actually upload using the method in the link you shared, it seems):

Another image:

Old 12-07-18, 11:03 AM
S
this is what current controller looks like

Humidistat Info

Old 12-07-18, 03:25 PM
S
success?

OK!

Got the Ecobee installed, wired, configured.

Good news: its controlling my humidifier!

Couple of items I could use some advice on, though.
  • The Aprilaire humidistat/controller was hooked up to a transformer which was connected to two ports on the top of my control board. I dont see any jumpers or anything other than this text on the wiring label: "DS to R, Cut W914 Jumper A92 Burner Control Board When A20 Humidity Control (CCB-1) is used. As this was an Aprilaire and not a Lennox CCB-1 controller, I am assuming there is nothing I need to do.
  • Initially, after setup, I noticed (after setting the Ecobee to 79 degrees--it was 74 at the time) the burner kicked on, then off after 5-10 seconds. It did this two or three times. Then the LEDs for DS1 and DS2 started alternating blinking, slowly. After running through the diagnostics with Ecobee (burners first stage 1 and stage 2--both fired right up), I decided to shut the power to the furnace off and wait 5 minutes before turning back on. I set the thermostat to 74 (it had dropped to 71 at this point) and the furnace fired up (DS1 and DS2 blinking rapidly, burner on and stayed on). Is this a reasonable behavior on furnaces?

During the install, everything was pretty much flawless, except the Ecobee didnt recognize I had W2 connected. I removed the stat, and re-inserted the wire, but it still didnt automatically see it. I had to manually tell the Ecobee it was connected.

I guess I am wondering if I am 'good'. I have one round of heating since the restart, I guess that I need to wait for one more and then I will know. This was pretty much a 1..1 wiring exercise, except the humidifier, and except there was a jumper on my old Honeywell Wifi stat from R to Rc (Ecobee says to ignore that on the Ecobee).

I am trying to recall what W2 is used for... Is that the 2nd stage wire for heat?

STAT FURNACE (wire color)
W2 W2 (brown)
W1 W1 (white)
Rc R (red)
G G (green)
C C (blue-->white pigtail)
Y1 Y1 (yellow)

There are other wires connected, like the humidifier (Red to White Pigtail to C) and what I believe is the wire to the AC condensor

Here is a pic of the panel diagnostic LEDs explanation

Here is a pic of the wiring digram from inside the furnace

Here is a pic of the post install wiring at the furnace panel. The only thing I changed here was removing the old humidistat transformer and connecting just the RED wire to the C terminal. I had to remove the other wires from the C terminal and pig tail them in with a stub of white wire, using a wire nut

This pic shows the terminals (at the top) before I disconnected the old humidifier transformer

This pic shows the transformer (originally had humidistat red/white wire connected to screws)

Finally, this pic shows DIP switches. I was looking at these to see if I needed to set one for the change in the humidifier control

Old 12-07-18, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Not sure where your located but also I believe on your board you have a dehumidify terminal. This can be controlled by the tstat and slow the fan down to lower the humidity in the home in the summer..

I looked at the ecobee but prefer the honeywell vision pro 8000. Its hard wired outdoor temp sensor sold me.

The internet weather gets the temps from who knows where. Id like to control the heat pump from real temps.

I believe you can only control one or the other with these stats. I chose the dehumid option and living in the south thats what you want.

I dont belive in humidifiers. just adding to the mold farm in the duct work.. Yuck..

Old 12-07-18, 04:21 PM
S
I am in NJ. I was wondering if the switch from outside sensor Aprilaire controller to local forecast was a step backwards-- I figured that having a sensor in the living area, I'd have better control. The more you know

Right now I am primarily concerned about whether the Ecobee is controlling my furnace properly.

For instance, I saw the flame icon on the Ecobee (calling for heat), and yet nothing was happening at the furnace-- could be 'normal' behavior, I just dont know.

Also, how do I know if the stage 1 / stage 2 is working properly. The flame seemed more.....robust...?...on the stage 2 check, but the LEDs werent blinking in the manner I expected based on the label I shared in previous msg.

Old 12-07-18, 08:04 PM
Group Moderator
Even with the 600...... you don't use the humidistat.One solenoid wires goes to C and one goes to ACC+.
If you are connecting your humidifier to the Ecobee..... it controls the humidifier. Nothing else should be connected.

You have a brown and white wire connected for W1 and W2 heat.
Do you have the colors on the proper terminals at the stat end ?
Was your old stat a two stage heat stat ?
Your furnace may be set to single stage in which case it uses only W1.

Last edited by PJmax; 12-08-18 at 12:03 AM.
Old 12-07-18, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
It would be silly he has a lennex 2 stage and they only set it for single stage. I dont think the ecobee has terminals for outdoor sensor. Its all internet based.

The acc terminal I believe you can set as one wire as it has internal relay and takes the power from c to power humidifier.

Its in the user settings.

the ecobee uses indoor sensor/s but I think its silly. If other rooms are warmer or cooler it just averages them I think and runs the stat off the average. How much does that feature really help?

although any stat with a humidity sensor in it is better then a standard stat. But what to use it for? Humidity or dehumidify?

In the south here where I am at you want long slow cooling to dehumidify. Although it was hotter in NJ this year then SC was I believe.

I prefer the vision pro myself but as in anything else its all subjective..

Old 12-10-18, 10:31 AM
S
Silly indeed :)

Sorry for late reply-- was decking the halls, so to speak

Actually, when I first moved into this house, you all helped me a great deal with upgrading from a 'dumb thermostat' to the Wifi version I just swapped out. As you can see in THAT THREAD, they actually had it wired single stage (but the board may have been running the second stage manually)

Ecobee is in. Its controlling humidity. I am just trying to dial everything in. I will say: the temp in my master bedroom is much better at night with that remote sensor.

For humidity control (my daughter has been complaining of dry throat in the mornings), I just upped my 'window efficiency rating' in the Ecobee from 2 to 3 (goes from 1..7, 7 being best), to see if that improves things--stat is set to 'Frost Control' vs manually setting it.