Venstar Add A Wire Part 2

Old 05-27-19, 05:19 PM
S
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Venstar Add A Wire Part 2

Hi-
I purchased a Venstar add a wire so that I can install my "smart" thermostat. We have a forced gas heating system and our AC was added on several years after the home was built.

I followed the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3pea5qtygo

which was simple enough. I put our old thermostat back on the wall and nothing happened so I took everything apart at the thermostat and put it back the way it was. I went to the garage and put everything back the way it was at the control panel and then I realized it probably didn't work because the cover was still off and nothing works without the cover because of the switch there.

I'm pretty frustrated at this point. I guess my question is if I just follow the video again and leave my current thermostat in place should this add a wire work? My plan was to get that working then follow the instructions to install our Emerson Sensi.

Everything in the video was almost exactly the same except for in one or two cases I had two wires to move instead of one. I am assuming this is because we have separate heating and cooling systems?

Thanks

Name:  t1.JPG
Views: 423
Size:  26.7 KB

Name:  t2.JPG
Views: 458
Size:  64.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-27-19 at 07:48 PM. Reason: resized pictures/replaced in other thread
Old 05-27-19, 07:53 PM
A
Received 79 Votes on 71 Posts
The thermostat has a blue on Y2 but the furnace is only single speed Y. Need to find out where the blue wire goes as possibly you don't need the Venstar.

Other thread says you have heat pump but here you say a/c with gas heat. Can you provide model numbers of inside and outside units to clear things up? Also - is there a zone controller (multiple thermostats) as that could explain the wiring but also complicate things.

Last edited by Astuff; 05-27-19 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-27-19, 08:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,956 Votes on 2,667 Posts
You already had the same pictures posted in your other thread, These were better so the same pictures are seen in both threads. Saves on storage space.

Very important...... the three condenser wires DO NOT get moved. They stay connected just as they are. You're only interested in the thermostat side wires.

So the stat end is the easy end.
You move the green to C.
You add the diode device to yellow and it gives you a new green(G) and yellow(Y or Y1).
The blue Y2 wire will go on to Y2 on your new stat.

At the furnace end.
Red to R. There will now be three red wires on R.
Brown to C. There will now be a blue, green and brown wire on C.
Yellow to Y. There will still be two yellow wires there.
Green wire to G. Only one wire on G.
Blue to the yellow wire that goes to the thermostat.

Good call on a heat pump. W is on the furnace. There are four connected wires to the outside unit which would be strange for a standard split A/C but this does not look like a heat pump system. Looks like a two speed cooling system.

Old 05-27-19, 08:30 PM
S
Ok, I working on finding everything out. We only have one thermostat which is just a very basic Honeywell unit. We are in the Seattle area and not even new homes come with AC for the most part. So my understanding is that the AC was added to our home a few years ago before we purchased it.

I pulled the cover on the system in the garage and didn't see any labels. The manual in the slot on it says it is a Single-Stage Induced-Combustion 4-WAY multipurpose furnace, Bryant Series 100/A.

Outside the AC is a York Affinity 8T Series, Model CZH06011CA. I can take more pics if needed. Thx

Old 05-27-19, 08:34 PM
Group Moderator
That is a standard split A/C system with two stage scroll compressor.
So you don't have a heat pump. You do still need the Add A C adapter.

You can go out to the condenser and see if the blue wire is actually connected out there.
Typically when the condenser is two stages.... the blower speed is also two speeds.
Yours is not.

Old 05-27-19, 08:41 PM
S
awesome, i will give this a whirl in the next few days and report back, thanks everyone!

Old 05-27-19, 08:55 PM
S
one more quick question. it says green wire to G, only one wire on G. It's difficult to see in the picture but the green that is already there is connected to G. Will there be two greens on G after I add the adapter? thanks!

Old 05-27-19, 09:24 PM
S
Apologies for being slow on the uptake here. I drew out a diagram of the controller in the garage. Is this correct? thanks!

Name:  diagram.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  46.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-28-19 at 10:38 AM. Reason: resized/clarified label
Old 05-28-19, 06:14 AM
A
Did you find what the blue wire from the thermostat connects to? It's not in the picture.

Old 05-28-19, 09:13 AM
S
Yes, sorry. In the new picture I have included this is what I see: The second brown cable that is in my hand runs along with all the wires that are routed outside to the AC unit. The other brown cable above where everything is connected to the control unit runs to the thermostat inside the house.

So, the blue wire that is connected to the control unit itself looks like it is connected to the AC unit outside. And then we see the blue from the thermostat brown cable is connected to the green from the AC cable.

thanks!

Name:  New Wire.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  25.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-28-19 at 10:41 AM. Reason: resize picture
Old 05-28-19, 09:39 AM
A
Thanks for the pic. So assume green goes to Y2 at outside condenser for 2nd stage.

Your note on pic upper right says "not to vs blue yellow" ? Idea is that the yellow wire to thermostat will start carrying both Y1 and G. So correct in not touching blue from thermostat but the yellow from the thermostat needs to remove from the screw and instead attach to the Venstar blue. Then the Venstar provides Y1 and G to connect to the furnace terminals via its yellow and green.

Usually your setup isn't done as it will have the same indoor blower speed for both stages. This loses some of the advantages of 2 stage cooling - more noise and less dehumidification for 1st stage. Maybe you need the speed to even out the temps in your house? Some furnaces have a slower speed for G than Y so you put the Y2 wire on the furnace Y to handle this.

Old 05-28-19, 10:11 AM
S
Sorry for the poor handwriting. I think I my note meant to Say: remove the upper yellow already connected to the control board and use a nut connector or whatever they are called to twist it to the new blue wire from the Venstar. So i think we are staying the same thing.

What exactly is a two stage cooling system? Is it just an AC that runs the fan at two different speeds? If so how does the system know what speed to use? Our home is 4600 sq three level, itís always cool on the lower level and too hot up, but we are just happy to have AC at all.

Old 05-28-19, 10:33 AM
Group Moderator
Your wiring diagram looks ok.

Two speed is used to save money. The compressor and blower usually change speed to match the demand. The compressor and blower both run on high or low together. In your case the compressor changes speed but the blower does not.

As Astuff was pointing out..... although they have connected the two speed wire to the outside unit..... it may not be connected to anything out there.

Old 05-28-19, 04:07 PM
S
Is did it! ó I mean you guys did it! I installed our Sensi thermostat as well and both the AC and heat seem to be working. Is there anything specific I should do to make sure I didnít mess anything up? Thanks again everyone!

Old 05-28-19, 04:48 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds good. Probably just some fine tuning now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: