Motorized damper wiring

Old 10-27-19, 09:33 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Motorized damper wiring

I am adding an Englander 28-3500 add-on wood furnace to my house and plan on attaching the hot air output to my existing ductwork. I want to install a motorized damper on the hot air output from the wood furnace that closes if my current gas furnace kicks on. That way the gas furnaces output isnít blowing back through the wood furnace and fighting the wood furnaces blower.

Iím having difficulty finding information on how to properly and safely wire the damper to my gas furnace. The damper Iím looking at buying is a Honeywell ARD8TZ that requires 24VAC and 8VA to operate. On my gas furnace the only terminals I have are the thermostat terminals. I have checked and two of those terminals have a 24VAC output when the furnace is running.

So so my question is, can I hook the damper directly to the thermostat connections that put out 24VAC while the furnace is running? Will the transformer suppling power to those terminal handle the damper? Currently, there are wires that go to my digital thermostat and wires that go to my AC compressor connected to the terminals.

My second option is buying an Elk TRG2440 power supply and a DPDT relay. I would hook the coil side of the relay to the thermostat terminals so that when the furnace kicks on it trips the relay and the relay will send power from the Elk power supply to the damper.

Which is the best way to accomplish what I am trying to do or is there a better way?

Old 10-27-19, 11:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,599 Votes on 1,473 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I’m having difficulty finding information on how to properly and safely wire the damper to my gas furnace.
BAD idea....... a damper will not stop the airflow 100%.
You need to lock out the furnace when the heat stove is on or the furnace can force air back thru the damper and into the stove. If the stove doesn't have any info on connecting to live ductwork.... then I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 10-27-19, 11:34 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PjMax,

I don't understand what you’re saying is a bad idea. The Englander 28-3500, and the newer version 28-4000, are very popular add-on wood furnaces. They are sold by just about every hardware store. I personally know multiple people that have them and they work great. I am running the duct work exactly how Englander recommends other than the damper. Englander recommends a manual damper be installed in the hot air output of the wood furnace right before it connects to the existing plenum. I am just trying to basically automate the process. My intentions are to set my gas furnaces thermostat to 68 degrees. That way if the wood furnace goes out of a night time or I go out of town the gas will keep the house temperature livable until I start a fire. The Honeywell ARD8TZ is a normally open/power close damper. So it will allow the heat from the wood furnace to radiate through the duct work even when the Englander blower isn’t running. I just need to figure out the correct way to get the gas furnace to signal and close the damper in the event it kicks on so the hot air from the gas furnace isn’t blowing into the jacket of the wood furnace. The ARD8TZ has a foam seal and will be as airtight as you can get when it comes to dampers, definitely more airtight than a manual damper.

Last edited by Jdta433; 10-27-19 at 11:57 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: