Thermostat voltage and resistor value

Old 11-21-19, 09:02 AM
Q
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thermostat voltage and resistor value

Hello all,

I have a few questions regarding the testing the thermostat.

When the thermostat cover is removed, the voltage between Y and R should be ~24V AC , the voltage between Y and C should be 0, and there should be continuity between Y and R.

Q1> Since there is a continuity between Y and R, but the Y has no voltage, so it is true that there is a large resistor between the Y and R?

Q2> When the thermostat cover is installed back and the unit calls for cooling, the Voltage between R and Y should be 0 and Y and C should be ~24V AC. Is that correct?
Is it true that somehow the thermostat shorts the Y and C when it calls for cooling?

Q3>Unrelated question.
When I measure the wall outlet, the voltage between hot and neutral is 120V. The voltage between the hot and the ground is 120V while hot has no continuity to ground.

When I measure the voltage between R and myself. Why there is no voltage?
Why not 24V?

Thank you

Old 11-21-19, 09:45 AM
A
Received 92 Upvotes on 84 Posts
with cover removed there should not be continuity between Y and R. Normally Y goes to the contactor in the outside unit which also has a connection to C to activate its coil.

Thermostat connects Y (and usually G) to R with a cooling call.

Measuring between R and you (or to most anything else) is meaningless. Sometimes will get voltage if C is connected to ground at the HVAC unit but that is not always the case. Same issue when birds sit on a high voltage line and don't get fried..

Old 11-22-19, 07:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
while hot has no continuity to ground.
Be SURE..... you never try that with power on. Your meter could explode.

Continuity (ohms) should never be measured in a powered circuit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: