What kind of tub surround should I get, Many questions.

Old 01-10-16, 12:21 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What kind of tub surround should I get, Many questions.

Hello, I will give you some background on the situation, We bought a house built in 1978 back in 2007 and one of the tubs had a crack in it which the previous owner put a non slip strip over to cover it. After time this started leaking and after many temporary repairs I decided to gut the bathroom down to the studs since it had nasty paneling in it as well.

This project has sat idle for a few years due to money issues and the birth of a child, I got as far as the plumbing and electrical and I set a new tub into place which is an americast tub. I was originally going to tile the walls but due to clean-ability, time constraints and ease of installation I think a tub surround would be the best way to go.

I have looked at several brands, several of which are designed to work with only certain tubs. Some will fit a universal application but require some modification, mainly cutting some brackets off.

I am wanting to get something that is sturdy, there are some that feel so thin I feel like I can break them with my finger. I am not opposed to getting a matching tub and surround if that will make the project much easier, but I already have a tub set in place. I would rather not have a tub that you have to bed in mortar though, they americast doesn't require this.

It seems that surrounds that you directly install to the studs would be better?

How about 3 piece vs 5 piece? I figure with a 3 piece you have less places for leaks to form.

We would like it to have some shelves, but it doesn't need to be anything elaborate.

I read reviews on so many surrounds and alot get bad reviews, any you would recommend or stay away from?

This is one we looked at, it is sturdier than some, but it is a 5 piece and you glue it to the drywall to install it. It makes me nervous but the price is right.

http://www.menards.com/main/bath/bat...91320910935791

Our house is nice but nothing special, the bathroom is long and narrow, its not a high end home, and this will never be a high end home its just not set up that way, its a cape cod from 1978 with smaller rooms than most newer homes, it is on some acreage in the country so if we ever sell it the people buying it probably wont care if it doesn't have an elaborate tile surround in the bathroom, and we just need it to work and last.

I am willing to spend 100 to 400 bucks, maybe 500 if someone told me I could get a far better surround for just a little more. I would rather it be cheaper, but I don't want to install something that will crack if I drop a shampoo bottle on the shelf. I have stayed at a renovated motel 6 with a cheap surround and it wasn't that old and already had a cracked shelf. This I wish to avoid.

I have never installed a tub or surround before and I am a bit confused. I would consider myself a competent DIYer, I would like the opinions of some people who have done these before.Thanks!

Old 01-10-16, 12:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The surround you refer to is quite flimsy and may not do what you expect it to do. I know you said you put aside the idea of tiling the walls, but for $400, I feel you can have a first class tile installation (with our help, of course ) We can walk you through it and I think you can be proud of the work you will do. Your call, but if you decide to do a surround, look at thicker one with returns on the ends. It may cost you the $400 for that as well.

Old 01-10-16, 01:09 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Upload a picture of the tub you purchased. Most surrounds are designed to be used with specific tubs. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

I agree with Larry, we can get a better product through tile and probably stay within budget if you do it yourself.

Old 01-10-16, 01:18 PM
C
I will get a pic up soon, I guess I should consider tiling it, it was the original plan and I have done a tile back splash in a kitchen that turned out great, and I have tiled both of our entryways and they have held up since 2009 and 2011.

The thing with tile that makes me nervous is the waterproofing factor. There are so many ways it can leak. I am also worried about the clean ability of the tile. Let me get in there and take a pic.

Old 01-10-16, 03:23 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
A nail on surround is going to be far thicker and hold up far better and look better then a glued on.
It also does not need drywall behind it.
May have to add a few studs where the panels meet.
Sterling makes a good one.

Old 01-10-16, 05:28 PM
C
Thanks, I will definitely look at sterlings. At this point I am considering all of my options, including tile.

Old 01-30-16, 04:59 PM
C
The surround you refer to is quite flimsy and may not do what you expect it to do. I know you said you put aside the idea of tiling the walls, but for $400, I feel you can have a first class tile installation (with our help, of course ) We can walk you through it and I think you can be proud of the work you will do. Your call, but if you decide to do a surround, look at thicker one with returns on the ends. It may cost you the $400 for that as well.
What do you mean by returns on the ends?

Old 08-17-16, 08:34 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How did this work out? What surround did you use? I'm in a similar situation but keeping my older standard iron tub. I'm leaning towards a better quality direct to stud 3 piece surround.
Thanks!

Old 01-05-17, 06:42 PM
C
Sorry I didn't reply sooner. It hasn't worked out at all. I didn't listen and bought a sterling ensemble tub and surround and after 5 of the could not get one that wasn't damaged during shipping so im back to square one.

I had to support the second floor and sister in some floor joists and that took a bit, then my wife started having issues and got sick and needed surgery and the project sat. She is better now, but then I was trying to get a new job which would require moving so i was just going to pay a contractor to finish it.

I came so close to getting the new job, but I didn't so we are not moving.

2016 was quite a year.

I just got back at it and I am going to follow chandlers advice and tile it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: