Shower Handle Removal Secrets!

Old 02-06-16, 02:59 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shower Handle Removal Secrets!

Accidentally posted this in another plumbing post by accident.

I have a Delta Shower and I need to remove the handle. I need to turn up the temp. of the water coming out the shower. I spoke to Delta they explained how to do this but I can't get the handle off. I've soaked it in PB Blaster, WD40 and one or two other penetrants, and no luck. The set screw is in there and will not budge. Faucets are original to the house, 11 years old. Any "Plumber Secrets," other than drilling it out, that I can try?

Old 02-06-16, 03:16 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Try a drop of transmission fluid. ________

Old 02-06-16, 03:28 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Not sure if this will help, but I have had an occasion or two when it did. When removing stuck threaded items, heat can help. In this case it would be impossible to add a lot of heat. However, removing heat has the same effect. If that is an allen set screw and you can get a wrench in there nice and tight, warm the assembly with a hair dryer, not too hot, while you apply ice to the allen wrench. I uses a compressed can of a cooling agent, not sure of the brand, but very cold. It was a liquid freeze I used in electronic testing and is certainly available somewhere.

But creating a difference in temperature causes the materials to expand or contract differently and can help to get that loose without the drill.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: