American Standard Toilet Installation

Old 03-24-16, 09:05 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
American Standard Toilet Installation

I am trying to do some fixes on a prior installation done on a AS Cadet 3 , 2 piece , with a concealed trap.

I found the wingnuts loose. For the bowl the instructions say to hand tighten plastic wingnuts to prevent breakage. I have hand tightened the nuts, and still get about 1/16 " rocking with 150 lbs on the bowl. Should the toilet be shimmed or leave as is?

Similar situation for the tank, I found the nuts loose and the tank rocking about 1/2 ". I have hand tightened the bolts using the tool according to the instructions a 1/32 gap to the bowl some slight rocking. It does not leak. Should I tighten until it fully contacts the bowl or leave as is?

How clean should the waste flange be when installing with a new wax ring? Will a 1/8" layer of old wax increase the chance of a leak in future?

Old 03-25-16, 04:38 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
The bowl should be solid on the floor and no rocking should be noticeable. The tank should be as you tighten it. If it doesn't leak, you're good. However, if possible I would put a 2 x 4 or similar between the tank and the wall to prevent someone from leaning back against the tank.

Remove all the old wax. Start with a clean flange and horn on the base. Shims are available if need be to prevent the bowl from rocking if floor is a little uneven.

Old 03-25-16, 06:06 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Can't have the bowl rocking, it will leak in time if that's the case. If the floor isn't flat, you can shim the bowl.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: