Replace sink pop-up drain?

Old 04-06-16, 05:08 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Replace sink pop-up drain?

The old ball rod finally corroded away and snapped off, leaving just a little tip and causing the pop-up drain to fall and never open again. So I went to Lowe's and bought a universal ball-rod replacement assembly only to find that after the pop-up didn't "pop up" enough. No big deal, I figured, and bought a new pop-up drain with two holes for adjusting the pop. Now it either doesn't pop up enough or it doesn't close! This thing is starting to get my nerves.

I'd much rather not go through the mess of replacing the pop-up drain assembly, but if I have to, I will. Anybody have any suggestions or solutions?

Thanks!

Old 04-06-16, 05:20 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
You should be able to get all kinds of adjustment by using the holes in the back metal strip as shown.

Old 04-06-16, 05:35 AM
G
You would think so, but apparently the ball rod can only go so far? By hand, I tried to open and close as far as I could and it barely popped up. Closes great, though, but obviously that's not the problem. I feel like I'm missing something very obvious and feeling a bit like an idiot, but I want to get this fixed.

Old 04-06-16, 06:01 AM
If you're not already doing it, the rod needs to be inserted into the hole at the bottom of the stopper. You should not be able to remove stopper after rod is inserted.
Also position the flat face of stopper towards the front and see if that's better than the flat face towards rear.
If that doesn't work good enough, you can insert the rod first and then just drop the stopper in from above. The stopper will sit on top of the rod.

Name:  popupstopper.JPG
Views: 260
Size:  14.0 KB

Old 04-06-16, 06:24 AM
G
Yep, that's exactly what I did. The rod isn't long enough to go through the hole if I turn it to the front. I thought about letting the stopper just sit on top of the rod, but that isn't a great solution as it would inevitably rotate and then just fall in and close the drain. It's like I need a hole that's exactly between the two existing ones. I suppose I could just drill a new one or pad the top hole with something so the rod sits a little higher.

Old 04-06-16, 06:48 AM
I would replace the pop-up assembly. Let us know if you need help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: