Clogged dishwasher

Old 04-12-16, 11:02 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Clogged dishwasher

Or at least I think it's a clogged dishwasher. Maybe it's some other issue. But basically, I'm trying to save a really old dishwasher from being disposed. It's cleaning worse and worse every time and the dishes smell a bit. So I finally went inside, opened and cleaned the filter, and then opened the filter to the drain. But then I realized there's a puddle of water there. Not much, but the water's not draining entirely.

Name:  20160412_133947.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  16.6 KB

I tried putting my fingers in there to see if I can pull out something, but there's another filter/layer that prevents my finger from going inside.

So, how can I fix this, save pulling the dishwasher out and opening the plumbing? Would one of those clog remover/drain opener liquids or salts work? I also have a drain gun, but it's not going to go through this.

Old 04-12-16, 11:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Some water in the bottom of the sump is normal. The orientation and condition of the drain hose is important. It must be run up high under the countertop to eliminate dirty water from re-entering the washer.

You cannot use any type of snake or chemical to clean the drain line from the dishwasher. It may be time to actually replace the drain line. You can see it by removing the front kickplate and looking towards the back.

Name:  DDW.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  15.7 KB

Old 04-12-16, 02:35 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. As you can see in the picture below, the drain hose is way in the back so I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get to it.
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  28.0 KB
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  41.8 KB

And here's the slope of the hose under the sink
Name:  3.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  13.6 KB

How much water at the bottom of the sump is normal? This fills the whole thing, plus a bit more that sits at the bottom of the dishwasher (just the bit around the sump). ANd the water is murky.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: