Kitchen sink knocking/thumping when turned on

Old 04-26-16, 03:37 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitchen sink knocking/thumping when turned on

Hello knowledgeable folks of doityourself.com!

I have a kitchen sink that knocks/thumps when turned on. The sound usually stops after a few moments of running the water. This happens for both hot and cold water. It does NOT happen if the handle is turned very slowly to the on position. The faucet has recently been replaced, the knocking occurred before and after replacement. This only occurs in my kitchen sink, which is the highest faucet in the house. Worth noting, the home was winterized in January and water was turned back on at the end of February. Before I spend days trying a variety of the options I have found online, I thought I might reach out to those that know more than I do!

Thank you!!

Old 04-26-16, 03:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Excessively high water pressure can cause a faucet to chatter like that.

Are you on a well or city water ?
What type of faucet is that.... single handle, dual handle, with a spray hose ?

Old 04-26-16, 04:00 PM
D
City water. Dual handle w spray hose (previous faucet was same, dual w hose) Thanks for the reply! The water spurts out when it knocks/thumps.

Old 04-26-16, 04:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Are there any water lines that still might have air in them? Dishwasher... a bathroom that hasn't been used, outside faucet that hasn't been turned on? Toilet that hasn't been flushed? Washington machine that hasn't bee run? Definitely sounds like air in the lines... Do you have a sprinkler system?

I would turn every faucet on just a trickle... (set on warm, to use both hot and cold) to try and purge all the air out of the lines. Let them run on low for a few minutes.

Old 04-26-16, 08:26 PM
D
Well, it's a new house to us, so there is a chance there is some unknown faucet..however it is just a 1 bath 1 laundry 1 kitchen house. All items listed above have been used for just shy of 2 months... no sprinkler system.

Air in the lines was my novice thought for what it could be (after internet searching) and I came across a suggestion to 1. turn of main water 2. turn on highest faucet in house 3. turn on lowest faucet - close lowest faucet 4. Easy main back on. Any thoughts?

The hot water supply line is not connected to the faucet in the bathroom (it is turned off at valve) would this have an effect on XSleeper's suggestion? --- The knocking occurred prior to the bathroom line going out of order and didn't seem to change the knocking.

When we did the inspection right after the city turned the water back on, the water had what I would call low pressure. Enough to use but not enough for utilizing the pressure behind the stream (washing a dish, a quick glass of water). I had a theory the water heater may have had something to do with this?? (The water heater had been kicked on to ensure it was in working order but we were not there for hours afterwards)

Thank you

Old 04-26-16, 08:30 PM
Group Moderator
So your water heater is not on, and is not being used?

Old 04-26-16, 08:45 PM
D
The water heater is on and working now. it had not been on when we inspected the house

Old 04-26-16, 08:56 PM
Group Moderator
Ok, grab the trigger on the sprayer hose, and turn the faucet on... does it spray water or air right away? I'm leaning toward a faulty diverter valve or sprayer head. Once you use the trigger sprayer, does it quit thumping for a while? Or makes no difference. Does it thump while spraying? Did a new spray nozzle come with the new faucet or did you reuse the old one?

Old 04-27-16, 07:31 AM
D
When sprayer is engaged and water turned on, no thumping. No thumping while in use. When sprayer is disengaged thumping returns right away. Whole new faucet. Did not reuse any parts

Old 04-27-16, 08:20 AM
Group Moderator
You could try turning your water pressure down, but it seems to be a faulty diverter valve or trigger. Sounds like its sucking air from the wand.

Old 05-30-16, 03:23 PM
D
Called faucet manufacturer. Installed new sprayer and aerator. Still knocks yet not as hard. Any more ideas? Thank you!

Old 05-30-16, 06:40 PM
Group Moderator
If you have shutoffs, turn them closed a little more to reduce the water pressure and volume.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: