Problems with bathroom odors

Old 05-04-16, 10:54 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Problems with bathroom odors

Hello,

I am hoping some smart person can help me with ideas for identifying odor problems in my master bathroom.

There are two subtle odors involved, one comes from near the two sinks, the other from near the toilet. Both are subtle. The one from near the sinks is a kind of fermenting smell. The one from around the toilet is a sharp smell. They do not smell like a sewer odor. Both odors are stronger when the weather gets cooler and damp, and if one of the windows is open a bit.

Sinks first: it doesn't appear to be coming from the drain or the overflow. I've cleaned both with several types of chemicals and cleaners. The p-traps function correctly.

The smell from near the toilet could be from the bowl, but it is hard to pinpoint. We had it reseated last year, and there's a silicon seal around the base that is intact.

I tested the all the roof vents using peppermint oil. No peppermint smell came into the bathroom. I've checked the crawlspace under the bathroom. There is no sign of leaks, and no unusual odors are present there. I checked outside the house. There's a compost pile about 30 feet away, the odor is not coming from there. Nor can I find any other likely source outside the house. Ive also checked the attic above the bedroom. There's no unusual odor up there either.

The bathroom is new construction, completed about two years ago.

Thanks,

Greg

Old 05-05-16, 02:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Chemicals don't always do away with the root problem of collected hair, etc in drain traps. Using a reverse barb tool will extract gobs of the stuff that the chemicals only perpetuate the rotting of. Try one in each sink to see if you are able to remove gunk. It may help. Sealing the toilet with silicone and not leaving a weep hole could contain a leak within the silicone and rot out the flooring while you are not aware of it. You could have a broken or leaking wax seal, still, although only installed a couple of years ago.

You mention leaving a window open. It is highly possible the vent stack is doing its job, but prevailing winds (ever so slight) can force those smells down a roofline and into your window. I am assuming this smell is not as evident with the window closed.

Do you know for sure this addition was properly vented?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: