Removing Kohler Shower Handle

Old 05-22-16, 11:17 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing Kohler Shower Handle

hi

I have a Kohler shower with a slight leak. There's a small amount of water coming out the bottom of the shower handle regardless of whether the shower is on or off. The shower is ~10 years old, so i'm guessing it's a bad seal but am trying to disassemble it to confirm.

However, I'm having trouble with the disassembly. The handle is Kohler with a single lever type handle similar to the one in the link below.

Finial Traditional Rite-Temp Shower Trim | K-T313-4M | KOHLER

In the assembly instructions, it says the bonnet is hand tightened to the valve, so I'm trying exactly the opposite to remove it, but it won't budge. I don't want to twist too hard for fear of breaking something. Any suggestions on any other ways to remove it? I've checked around and can't find any screws. There's a notch on the faceplate underneath the bonnet, but I believe that won't help in removal. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.

Old 05-22-16, 01:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! To remove the handle grasp it and keep it pointed down and unscrew the bonnet that is behind it in a CCW fashion. Using a leather strap may help, but just don't twist in the incorrect direction.

Old 05-22-16, 07:56 PM
S
thanks! i appreciate the info. I tried exactly that, but it won't budge. Used rubber gloves to gain a better grasp and it really doesn't want to move. I'm afraid to push it too hard and break something. Is there any other method? Has anyone had the same probleM?

Old 05-23-16, 04:12 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Want to make sure you are turning the correct bonnet. This is the picture from the installation instructions from your link. This is how to install, you would turn it in the opposite direction.

Name:  kohler.jpg
Views: 2967
Size:  35.0 KB

Old 05-23-16, 08:07 PM
S
My faucet isn't identical to the one in the picture above, but very similar. I'm turning the Bonnet counterclockwise, but to no avail. And there's no screws or anything of the sort i can find that may be holding it down.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: