how do I repair sink drain stop

Old 06-07-16, 01:50 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how do I repair sink drain stop

The sink drain stop in my bathroom sink is the type that you pull up and down with a lever between the two faucets. The piece in the drain no longer responds to the lever that is pulled. In fact, it isn't attached at all. Wondering how to get it attached again. Hopefully the photos will explain this better.

Name:  sink stop 2.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  15.7 KB

Name:  sink stop 1.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  50.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-16, 02:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
You just need to unscrew that grey thumbturn that the metal rod is sticking into... once it's out, drop the stopper down into the drain. (As you drop it into the drain, try and line the flat side of the stopper up with the side that the rod will stick into. Make a mark on top of the stopper with some tape if it helps you line it up.) Then insert the rod into the hole in the stopper... flip it up and down to see if it's engaged properly... pull up on the stopper to make sure you didn't miss the hole... if all is good then turn the grey thumbturn fitting back on until it's finger tight.

Old 06-07-16, 03:34 PM
Usually the holes in the stopper are larger, allowing the lever to be inserted easily. You have a small target.
It's possible for the pop-up to work just by sitting on the lever and not engaged, but all the parts must be clean so they move easily.

This is an option when installing pop-ups, make the stop removable or not.

Old 06-07-16, 04:37 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi, Take the rod off via the plastic nut. Watch for washers.
When you have the rod off you should see a ball toward the end and a short piece of the rod on the end about 1". These sometimes rust off. if so use a cresent wrench and adjust it so the rod slides easily through the jaws. Put the wrench on the ground put the ball on the top of wrench jaws and tap the rod through the ball about an inch. Reassemble.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 06-15-16, 03:21 PM
J
It worked!

Thanks for all your help! The rod was stuck (due to rust) in the ball so I sprayed some wd40, and tapped the rod through the ball and then followed through with the rest of the directions and it worked.

appreciate it !