Water leak at bolts that hold tank to toilet

Old 06-20-16, 02:49 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water leak at bolts that hold tank to toilet

I had a small water leak at one of the bolts that secure tank to toilet so I replaced both bolts and washes but now both bolts have small water leaks. I am at a point where now I do not want to tighten the bolts much tighter in fear of cracking the porcelain tank. I am considering adding plummer putty under the four rubber gaskets (washers) to get a better seal. Has anyone had this issue and how did you stop the leaks?........thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-16, 03:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! The best solution is to buy two tank-to-bowl bolt kits. Install (on each side) a bolt and rubber washer from inside the tank. Install a rubber washer, metal washer and nut from under the tank, making it a water tight unit at this point. Now, you can install the tank on the bowl using a rubber washer (for cushioning) and metal washer and nut from underneath the bowl without fear of over tightening them while still making it stable. Buying the second kit will give you the needed washers and nuts you will use.

Old 06-20-16, 03:52 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
At this time of year, high humidity often mimics a leak when it condenses on the cold water tank. When the temperature differential is always great, some manufacturers have insulated tanks available . . . . or kits that allow you to glue insulation inside the tank to moderate the temperature of the porcelain and minimize the amount of condensation.

I don't know what State the OP is in, or how cold his incoming water supply is; so I don't know if this could be his problem.

Old 06-20-16, 04:14 AM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
Two bolt tank to bowl are tricky to make leak proof. Most of the time they are fine but sometimes it's difficult to evenly tighten and balance the tightness. Put a level on the tank top and slowly but evenly tighten down the bolts keeping the tank level. If need be put a block of wood between the wall and tank to keep it from rocking backwards and breaking the seal. If all else fails replace with a three bolt toilet.

Old 06-20-16, 09:08 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all responses from this forum. I think the mistake I made was adding metal washer in tank so I will remove it and see if that resolves the problem. I will let the forum know when I do....thanks