looking for 1 1/4" fixed basin wrench

Old 06-22-16, 09:13 AM
J
Received 23 Upvotes on 21 Posts
looking for 1 1/4" fixed basin wrench

I have a bathroom sink that is caulked into place. I cannot easily remove the entire sink to access the bottom of the faucet and the nut holding it in place. The faucet is installed but it moves around. The 1 1/4" nut that holds it in place is tight but the whole faucet still moves around. I want to remove the nut and caulk the faucet where it meets the basin surface to hold it in place. Of course I will still use the nut on the bottom. Problem is I cannot remove the nut. I only have been able to reach the nut with a pair of channel lock pliers. They do not fit well enough to loosen the nut. A standard spring loaded adjustable basin wrench will not fit into the small space. I have seen a fixed 1 1/4" basin wrench on the internet, but only available in the UK. Where can I get one in the USA?

Or, is there a better way to do this?

Old 06-22-16, 09:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Google brasscraft basin wrench, I found it at lowes but sold at most hardware stroes.

Old 06-22-16, 09:50 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Shower valve socket sets usually include a 1 9/32 size....might be close enough.

Another option might be a crowfoot wrench, but if you can't get a basin wrench in there it probably won't fit either.

Then there's the basin buddy: https://www.amazon.com/Superior-Tool.../dp/B007BI7IJA

But no details on what size nuts it can handle....

Old 06-22-16, 11:43 AM
J
Still no cigar

Those will not work. Not enough space around the nut. The superior tool only goes to one inch.

Fixed basin wrenches

Fixed basin tap wrench, Basin Wrench Basin wrench 1/2in x 3/4in, (15 X 22mm) accurately manufactured from cast iron. Ideal for use in awkward places, eg. back nuts fitted to taps behind sinks or baths.
Fixed basin wrenches are similar to an ordinary spanner insomuch as they have fixed jaws that are for use on 1/2 and 3/4 inch nuts and fittings. These wrenches are designed for removing basin, sink, and bath tap backnuts.

They are strong and sturdy but, because they are fixed, can only be used on specific sized nuts. With particularly stubborn or rusted nuts, it may be difficult to apply the required amount of leverage to move them.

I need one of these in a 1 1/4" size.

Old 06-22-16, 12:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Old 06-22-16, 02:04 PM
J
found one

This is what I was looking for.
https://www.amazon.com/Silverline-CB.../dp/B000LFVD0K

Thanks for responding.

Old 06-22-16, 04:14 PM
I don't think that caulking the faucet in place will do much for you long term. If the counter top is too thin for the connection system of the faucet, add spacers or washers to take up the slack space. Been doing this type of stuff for 15 years and never had to buy a specialty tool to install a faucet.

Last edited by czizzi; 06-22-16 at 06:26 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-22-16, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It sounds to me like you need a new faucet.
I have special tools that I use once in awhile, but as Czizzi stated, probably not necessary in this case.

Every manufacturer has ways to secure the faucet to the counter and prevent movement, some are better than others. I would guess that your faucet wasn't installed correctly from day one, some hardware was omitted.

If you can post a picture of the underside of counter showing how faucet was secured to deck, it would tell a lot.

Old 06-23-16, 09:02 AM
J
I installed it years ago

Name:  IMG_0687.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  24.6 KBName:  IMG_0689.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  19.7 KB

I installed the sink with caulking but did not install the faucet beforehand. My fault, just a dumb homeowner. As you may be able to see in the photos there is not enough room to use a basin wrench to tighten the 1 1/4" nut. I used channel locks as best as I could. However, the faucet turns or twists when you use the hot and cold or if you move the spout arm. Just thought if I removed the nut underneath and temporarily raised the faucet from the basin then I could put some caulking between them and then re-tighten the nut. Plus, with the proper wrench I could tighten the nut enough that the faucet would not twist so easily.

Old 06-23-16, 12:43 PM
I have one of these multi faucet tools that covers just about every contingency, but rarely ever have used it. I think it might help in your situation.

RIDGID Faucet and Sink Installer Tool-27018 - The Home Depot

Old 06-23-16, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Here's a technique I use once in awhile on a faucet like yours (single hole), if this will work for you.

Rotate the faucet 90° CCW, the hot handle will be facing the front.
Tighten the mounting nut.
From above, rotate the faucet back into position. This usually tightens the nut very good, but be careful not to tighten it too much.
It might take a little trial and error to find out how much to tighten the nut at first, and then move the faucet.

Old 06-23-16, 05:54 PM
Brian, Brilliant! I too have used that on occasion to tighten an awkward nut. Never really thought much as it was an instinctual move until you explained it and I have done what you say with success.

I wonder how many other mundane things I do that are second nature to me but mind changing to the weekend warrior. Things that are game changers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: