Please identify this shower valve

Old 08-07-16, 09:59 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Please identify this shower valve

I've just moved into a home that has the pictured shower valve.
https://goo.gl/photos/6TzUMzHbEwudvCjPA
My problem is that this is only putting out hot water. When I move it to the cold water position, nothing comes out of the shower.
Unfortunately, the valve does not anywhere identify the manufacturer so I don't know what cartridge etc. I should order or what I should tell the plumber. Can anyone identify this?
Thanks a lot.Name:  IMG_20160807_094309.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  36.0 KB

Old 08-07-16, 10:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! The large handle is the "on" "off" handle and the small one is for "cold" to "hot". Just curious as to which one you turned. If you are not getting anything out of the shower in the cold position, then it is highly likely the cartridge has gone south. Hopefully one of the guys can identify it from visual. Can you remove the handles? If so, take a picture with them removed.

Old 08-07-16, 10:39 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi there,
the small one is for tub/shower. The large one controls both hot and cold (or is supposed to). There is no obvious screw to take out the handles and they are only quite firmly...so a gentle pull did not get the handle off. I was hoping if someone could identify it visually, I could then look up information online on how to replace the handle.

Old 08-07-16, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Looks like kohler... But with so many knock offs now I lost track... There should be a set screw to get the handle off.

If there is not and the handle also has no cap hiding a screw then the whole escutcheon most likely turns off and it will all come apart as a whole...

Old 08-07-16, 12:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Ah, didn't realize that was a diverter. Mike is more up on the plumbing stuff, so he can help better.

Old 08-07-16, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Its a thermostatic valve and probably the spool is shot... if kohler or high end expect to pay $250 plus just for the part from what I know...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: