Chipped and rusted bathroom sink - fix/replace? pics included

Old 08-09-16, 03:37 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chipped and rusted bathroom sink - fix/replace? pics included

My bathroom sinks have chips/cracks and are rusting from the chips. I was wondering if there is an enamel or touch up kit that I is recommended to fix the chips and stop the rusting.

I am not sure if these are porcelain, fiberglass or ceramic. Or even if that would decide how to go about fixing the chips. The underside looks like cast iron and has Made in USA, American Standard.

I have included pictures, thanks for your time.

Name:  IMG_9950.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  10.9 KBName:  IMG_9951.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  10.9 KBName:  IMG_9210.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  26.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-16, 03:58 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 638 Votes on 588 Posts
Check your local home center. Most have touch-up and refinishing kits. How long the repair lasts will largely depend on how well you prep the sink and follow the directions but you could get several more years use out of the sink.

Old 08-09-16, 03:59 PM
Received 234 Votes on 209 Posts
Your local hardware or big box store will have enamel and/or porcelain paint in a bottle for just such touch ups. But it won't last for very long and is not a permanent fix. I would not worry about the underside rusting. That is thick cast iron and it won't come through. However, the next time you need to fix the trap that rust might make you buy a new drain assembly. Sometime in the future consider a new sink.

Old 08-09-16, 05:20 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info Pilot Dane and Norm201.

Yes, it would be nice to get a couple of more years out of the sinks.

The picture of the underside was to help identify the type of sink, fiberglass, porcelain or ceramic. I was not sure what type of finishing kit I should buy.

But I gather its a one and the same. So something like this, American Standard White Heat Paint Enamel Steel Touch-Up Kit

American Standard White Heat Paint Enamel Steel Touch-Up Kit-070900-2080A - The Home Depot

Old 08-09-16, 07:21 PM
Received 234 Votes on 209 Posts
Sure, as good as any. And like PD said preparation is key.

Old 08-10-16, 05:06 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 638 Votes on 588 Posts
Yes, preparation is the key and is where most amateurs screw-up. Most are focused on the top "pretty" stuff of any project and forget that it's all the stuff underneath that you don't see that's actually doing the work. In your case you'll probably have to grind away some of the porcelain and get down to the steel/cast iron underneath and grind until you have nothing but silver shiny metal underneath.

I can't tell from the photo if it's just a rust stain around the drain washed down from above or if you also have rust around the drain. If you have rust there you'll need to remove the drain from the sink to access and repair that area.