Moving kitchen sink

Old 08-16-16, 01:52 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Moving kitchen sink

Good day all,

I’ve recently purchased a home and am not happy where the sink is. The sink is currently in the center island of the kitchen. The plumbing for the sink comes from the wall where the dishwasher is installed. (through the floor). This leads me to believe that the main drain is there too as underneath the kitchen is an open area of the basement.

What we want to do is move the kitchen sink from the island over beside the dishwasher.
The sink will be about 3 feet from the dishwasher and the drain. (I don’t yet have access to the home so I don’t have any specifics.)
I do know however than my wife wants the counter tops changed before we move in, so this leaves me 2 week to get the sink moved and the new counters installed. The counter company needs 10 days to install but cannot start measuring until the sink is in place. So needless to say I don’t have much time here.

Am I able to install the drain with the P trap, but have a 3 foot pipe going over to the drain where the dishwasher is? I’m guessing I would install some sort of “Y” junction so the dishwasher and sink can both be connected ?? Is this possible? Will the sink drain properly.

Old 08-16-16, 03:17 PM
Welcome!

Running 3' horizontally should be no problem as far as draining. It could be a problem structurally, the pipe might or should be ran inside the cabinets, not in the wall. Boring of any tripled-up studs is not allowed.

The existing trap for the DW should be abandoned. You will use that stub out to extend a pipe left or right. You might need to go into the wall and replace the sanitary tee to adjust the angle.

You also need hot and cold stops under the sink. The DW will drain into the new sink base cabinet plumbing, extending the drain hose is no problem.

That should get you started

Old 08-16-16, 06:22 PM
I
Thanks For the info. This will certainly get me started. Have a good day.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: