Attaching Grab Bar to Glass Block Wall

Old 08-29-16, 03:59 PM
H
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Attaching Grab Bar to Glass Block Wall

This isn't plumbing but my client needs the above. The mortar lines are approx 3/8", so I could drill a 1/4" hole and put a stainless bolt thru the wall with a nut/washer on the other side. However, the world's best hardware store doesn't have any 4-1/2" x 1/4-20 bolts. Besides, I am a little shaky on this technique.

I can see perhaps epoxying a block to the glass and screwing the bar into that, but what material to use? Wood will rot in a shower.

I know I am really fishing here. Any ideas would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-16, 04:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Others may have differing views, but glass is not a proper substrate for anything like a grab bar. Drilling through the grout and spacers won't give a good support, and stacking ugly washers and nuts on the other side won't make it pretty. Putting pressure by pulling on the glass block assembly could cause it to fail.

Old 08-29-16, 11:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
I agree with Larry..... fastening a grab bar to a glass block wall just spells trouble.
It certainly isn't something I'd consider..... especially for a customer.

Old 08-30-16, 05:24 AM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
A possible work around would be to erect an aluminum bar across the whole bath wall either vertically or horizontally or maybe diagonally, attach it to studs from the ends or top. Send some pics and we might be able to come up with a possible solution. But I also agree that no type of item should be attached to the glass black that will put strain on it.

Old 08-30-16, 06:24 AM
H
Your replies have confirmed my concerns. I am a retired engineer, so I have a pretty good sense of structures. I shall not attempt this. The client has had a stroke and is heavyset, so this is a disaster waiting to happen. After sleeping on it and reading the comments, it seems clear as glass:-)

Three walls of this shower are tile over sheetrock. Are there any tricks for locating studs under tile?

Old 08-30-16, 06:35 AM
Can you get access from the opposite side of tiled walls? You can use the corner as a starting dimension and move 16" less the drywall, less the typical corner construction of a wall joint. Do the three tiles sides go all the way to ceiling? Again some pictures will help. Never tried but a high end electronic stud finder might be able to locate the studs.

Old 08-30-16, 07:22 AM
If you think the job is worth the cost you could get one of these.

A bit pricey at $200 but for the professional or the avid DIY it could be worth it.

Walabot DIY | Take the guesswork out of your next DIY construction project

Old 08-30-16, 07:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you can't locate the studs on the tiled walls, you can use anchors.
Here is a link to a Moen SecureMount anchor. They are rated at 500 pounds.
You will need to drill 1-1/4" holes through the tile.

MOEN SecureMount Stainless-Steel Grab Bar Anchors in Chrome (2-Pack)-SMA1000CH - The Home Depot

Old 08-30-16, 07:48 AM
H
I have never had anything other than a cheap stud finder and they are problematic. That is an interesting tool. Considering taxes, my cost of any tool is only 58% of the price I pay. I'll check into it.

Old 08-30-16, 11:34 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but the grab bar must be on the side of the glass block wall? My thought was to put an aluminum bar across the glass block wall and have it attached to the studded walls or if put in the vertical position to the ceiling joist.

Old 09-01-16, 06:15 AM
H
I can't span the glass wall with a bar. 3 side of this shower are conventional tile. The 4th side is a partial glass block wall that affords the walk in entry to the shower.
It turns out that the tile substrate is cement board rather than drywall so I'll put the bar on the long tiled wall. It was pretty simple on my part to even consider using that block wall that is only anchored on one end.