Choosing the proper shower pan drain

Old 10-06-16, 03:12 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Choosing the proper shower pan drain

Hey all,

I'm planning to install a concrete shower pan and need help choosing the proper drain and strainer. I have a roughed-in 2" PVC drain pipe and so I believe I need an adjustable 2" drain. I've seen them at Home Depot and Lowes, but I wanted something a little nicer, maybe something like a Sioux Chief with a heavy cast bronze-nickel or brushed stainless strainer. Problem is, when I visit the SC website, I see LOTS of options, and none appear to have a PVC base/connector. Can someone point me to a model number/style? I was interested in something with a square strainer, mainly because I just like the way they look. I want to make sure I get something that fits and works properly with my 2" rough-in. Thanks for any and all recommendations.

Old 10-06-16, 04:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I like the Sioux Chief with the square strainer. Drains & Drain Assemblies - Traps & Drains - Plumbing Parts & Repair - The Home Depot

The square strainer makes it easier to lay tile up to it than a round one. Once your pre slope is in and your pvc liner placed on it and tacked to the wall, the liner is captured under the ring and you can then put in your slope and adjust the height to accommodate it.

Old 10-19-16, 03:03 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Chandler. I ordered one of these from Ferguson and have it screwed into my plywood floor and ready to go. I had another question that popped into my head recently..... If the pre slope comes up to and even with the bottom most flange of the drain (the part that is actually screwed to the floor), that leaves a pre sloped mortar bed of only about 1/4" to 3/8" thick at the flange. Does that sound right? Seems awfully thin, though I'm sure nobody is walking on this thing until it's finished!

Old 10-19-16, 04:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You will be putting lath under it so it will mix and hold pretty well. IN addition, your liner goes on top and the slope will be a little thicker, so it should work out just fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: