How does temp control in shower valve works?

Old 11-01-16, 09:28 AM
P
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
How does temp control in shower valve works?

I recently installed brand new Kohler valve and all the parts for a new Bathroom. It seems that there MIGHT be a problem with the internal controls that control the temperature of the water.

Before I had two handles (hot and cold) and now with a single unit I feel like sometimes the water isn't the same temperature despite the fact that I turn the handle to the exactly same position each time.
I will need to do a more scientific verification with a thermometer, but even after the water runs for a bit...it feels like some days it is hotter than others....

What surprises me is the fact that it is NOT that water temp varies during usage but rather from day to day.... (Example: I go today to take a shower and need to turn it up to 10 to get the exact temp I like and then the water runs at that temp.....but tomorrow, I might need to turn to 9 to get the same temp of the water.)

I did adjust the screw that controls the temp during the install to a comfortable level...

Old 11-01-16, 04:55 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
It would help if you told us specifically what faucet you installed. Most are not temperature controlled. Anti-scald valves are very common have balancing valve inside that helps prevent scalding like when the cold water pressure drops when someone flushes a toilet.

Old 11-01-16, 05:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Shower valves will change with outside air if the water runs through a unheated area. Mine does and handle position is different i summer than winter,

Old 11-01-16, 05:43 PM
P
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The pipe is going inside basement and then in the wall that is fully insulated....
It is Kohler K-11748
https://www.build.com/kohler-k-11748...-valve/s559169

I know this is NOT related to outside/inside temp....the difference is such that it really seems like I have a messed up valve that sends uneven amount of hot vs cold....or coincidentally, just as I re-did the entire bathroom, my water heater is failing....

Old 11-02-16, 05:49 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Your valve does not have any type of temperature control. Is has an anti scald valve that prevents the water from going way hot when someone flushes a toilet. Any temperature variation you feel is likely due to a subtle difference in the handle position or the temperature of the waters feeding the faucet.

Old 11-02-16, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
What you have is a pressure balance valve that works on the pressure differential between the hot and cold water supply and nothing to do with outlet temperature.

You manually adjust the high temperature stop so that you can not set the valve to harmful temperatures.
After you adjust the temperature for your shower the valve will be in a balanced state.
If the water pressure on either the hot or cold water drops the cartridge will shift to try to maintain an equal balanced outlet pressure.
IOW when someone runs the cold water in a different location and the cold water pressure drops at the shower the valve will shift lowering the hot water pressure to match the current cold water pressure.
You will notice a reduction in flow but the temperature will remain reasonably constant.

The fact that these valves respond to pressure means that it is possible that the pressure in your home varies causing different handle positions for similar temperatures.

Old 11-05-16, 06:32 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hi, A couple things, your cold water may be colder at different times of the day or year.
Your hot water cycles and you just may catch it at a low point. An example say you just filled your water heater fired it up and wait for it to shut off the temperature is 105 Degrees come back in 2 hours it is 90 degrees and the heater fires off to heat it back up. Its like a oven set the temperature to 375 that is an average not an absolute.
I have a dish washer and I run the hot water in the sink to "prime" the water to the dishwasher some times it is not as hot as I think it should be. I wait about a half hour then the water is hotter and we don't have any kids to run the water all the time
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: