Toilet bowl wax seal replacement/water leaking from base

Old 11-04-16, 04:15 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toilet bowl wax seal replacement/water leaking from base

Hello

I know it's a basic straight forward job and I'm sure the question has been answered many times over but I have some particular questions please

Any opinions on the type of seal to use?
Plain wax vs. the wax with the funnel?
Is it ok to double wax seals?

Are the newer rubber/poly non deforming seals a better option?

Any particular tips That might make the job better?
The seal was replaced about 25 years ago when I redid the floor, currently the bowl is tight and not loose. Is it common for these to fail over time?
It's an older "eljer" bowl but still in good condition

Thanks for the help.

Old 11-05-16, 04:45 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
These days there are many options in addition to the wax ring varieties. The new, non-wax ring varieties are more expensive but can offer benefits over the old school wax ring. There are too many to start listing so if you have any questions post questions about the specific type you are considering.

If using a wax ring I like the type with a plastic funnel. Whether or not a regular, jumbo or two rings will be required depends on the height of the toilet flange in the floor so you won't know until you pull up the toilet.

Generally a wax ring will not fail on it's own and they can last for decades if everything else is good. Usually they fail because there is movement. So, if you have water leaking out the odds are good that you may have other repairs to do but you won't know for sure until you remove the toilet.

Old 11-10-16, 11:52 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks

i pulled the toilet and cleaned everything up, nothing unusual was noticed.
the flange is an old metal/lead? setup probably 60 years old and is approximately level with the floor
maybe 1/8" lower in the back but pretty much level.

being its an older bowl i decided to go with a traditional wax seal.
i went to home depot and they had two choices, 1) the standard wax seal, 2)what they call an extra thick seal which is only slightly thicker.
if i went to a plumbing supply do they make one even thicker?
also any tips for seating the bowl, the toilet/tank is all still connected so its pretty awkward and heavy to accurately maneuver.
is it better to put the seal on the bowl or flange before seating?

thanks

Old 11-11-16, 03:29 AM
S
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Put seal on flange first, set bowl carefully, straight down on wax ring. Push down on bowl to compress wax seal. Don't try to draw it down with mounting bolts. Good luck, Steve

Old 11-11-16, 05:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
You did not say specifically which brand and version wax seal you saw but I would still say they make more types. There are regular, tall and extra tall heights. They're available with and without a plastic funnel flange. Some have a urethane doughnut buried inside the wax while others don't.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: