Disposal sewer smell under sink

Old 11-13-16, 10:14 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Disposal sewer smell under sink

Here's some background for context: my kitchen sink has a disposal connected to a dishwasher and air gap. The handyman who installed the disposal forgot to punch out the drain plug and as a result when the dishwasher ran water would shoot out the air gap. I wasn't aware of the plug issue and proceeded to remove the entire disposal to investigate. Through research I discovered the plug and punched it out and then reinstalled the disposal the way it was installed before.

Now when I run the dishwasher it no longer shoots water out the air gap. However, sometimes bubbly smelly discolored water comes up a few inches in the disposal sink drain and a sewer smell comes from the air vent.

When the dishwasher is not in use the disposal sink drain smells fine, however underneath the sink has a strong sewer smell all the time.

I've tried to tighten everything as much as possible and I don't notice any water leaking, so I'm at a loss. Anybody know what might be happening?

Old 11-14-16, 03:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Do you have a double sink? Is the disposal unit trapped? Post a picture of the disposal and drain set up so we can see what you see. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 11-14-16, 06:01 AM
Hi.
The air gap has two hoses; the 5/8" dishwasher drain, and the 7/8" ID hose that drops down to the disposer inlet.
Change the 7/8" hose, it was blocked with nasty water for probably a long time.
Also make sure there are no dips in the 7/8 hose, it needs to be a straight shot into the disposer so that the hose can drain completely.
A blocked drain hose will hold some very stinky water.

Old 11-14-16, 10:25 AM
J
Sorry for not adding pics, you can see pics on this post: Disposal sewer smell under sink - Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum

I know the black 7/8 disposer inlet hose is clear because I checked, but there is a dip so maybe that indeed is the problem? Will adjust and see. Thanks!

Old 11-14-16, 01:19 PM
I viewed the pictures. It is definitely the dip in the hose, you have an even larger dip than would be needed to start causing problems.

Before you remove the hose to shorten it, place towels and a shallow pan in the cabinet.
As soon as you remove the hose and point it downward, you will see it's flooded with quite a bit of water.

This trapped water causes a dam effect and the hose will not drain completely (water might also shoot out the air gap). The dishwasher pump only pumps water up to the air gap, from the air gap down the water must be gravity drained.

It hurt me you went to another DIY site, but I'm almost over it.

Old 11-14-16, 01:25 PM
Didn't hurt my feelings, Brian. It was a plumbing forum with inadequate answers, IMO. I agree, the larger hose is acting like a ptrap and will hold water rather than letting it move on into the disposer.

Old 11-14-16, 01:28 PM
J
I did what you said and I'm running the dishwasher now. There was definitely stinky standing water in the inlet tube. Fingers crossed!

Here are new pictures:
http://i.imgur.com/IEo8UBp.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/p3ZuvRD.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited by JT1980; 11-14-16 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Elaborated
Old 11-14-16, 01:47 PM
Muy bien. That looks so much better and I don't think you will have the same problems.

Old 11-14-16, 02:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Wish my under sink area was as clean looking as yours. Nice job.

Old 11-14-16, 02:42 PM
I looked at the pictures and your problem is solved.
Hat's off to you for a good job.
The reason many newbies and even professionals leave a dip in the hose is because it's much easier to attach and clamp the hose. The hose is sometimes very difficult to shape without a dip or crimping the hose. I can have problems after doing it for 16 years.
Good Job.

Old 11-16-16, 09:10 AM
J
So, after a few days and running the dishwasher a couple times the smell is less but definitely still there. May be time to call a plumber..

Old 11-16-16, 09:36 AM
I didn't notice this at first, I looked at the pic again.

Cut a larger hole in the far back bottom left of the cabinet, where your supply line is now.

The drain exiting the DW should lay low until it goes up, yours goes up right away from inside the opening.
Keeping the drain line low allows it to drain as much as possible and allows air in to dry it.

After doing that I would run some DW magic and GD magic cleaner.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: