Adhesive to use in a toilet tank

Old 11-18-16, 05:14 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adhesive to use in a toilet tank

Hello .. I want to insulate a toilet tank. I cut blue foam (camping pad) to fit the tank, it fits nice. I need to glue it to the tank itself but am uncertain as to what kind of adhesive I should use. The tank is bone dry, has never been used yet ..I bought it by mistake but can't return for an insulated one. Does anyone know what kind of adhesive I can use for this project. Thank you.

Old 11-18-16, 06:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Why do you see the need in insulating the toilet tank? How hot do you keep your room temperature?

Old 11-18-16, 07:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Unless the insulation is 100% sealed and the water cannot touch the tank.... it will still sweat.
I don't think you can seal the foam to the tank to even make it effective.

Old 11-18-16, 09:10 PM
M
I have always purchased insulated toilets. I thought that if the toilet didn't have insulation, it would sweat due to the cold well water. I don't like the idea of even risking it ... I don't particularly like sweaty tanks and I put new floors in and don't want to risk messing them up .. I hope to sell in the Spring. So ... seen a video on Youtube , the UK fellow used a yoga mat and 785 silicone sealant .. the job looked pretty good. I wasn't sure what the best product would be here in the US (WI right now) to adhere closed cell foam to the toilet. I know they sell the kits to insulate the tanks but this fellows job looked better to me and I had an extra mat so .... decided to try it out.

Old 11-18-16, 09:27 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You could use a tempering (mixing valve) to warm the water entering the bowl. Example: https://www.amazon.com/Industries-10.../dp/B000BQMKCY

Old 11-19-16, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Foam board adhesive would fasten the insulating mat but is not recommended for constant immersion.
I would try the silicone and see how it goes.

Old 11-19-16, 04:33 AM
I have encountered only a few sweating toilet tanks over the years. Yes, well water is cold, but these ladies were keeping their houses at 80 degrees in the winter. I couldn't breathe, and naturally the tanks sweated. You haven't stated how hot you keep your house. It will have a direct bearing on the sweating.

Old 11-19-16, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
It sounds like sweating toilet tanks must be a regional thing.
Even in our cold climate the sweating of non-insulated toilet tanks is very common due to high humidity and cold municipal water.

Old 11-19-16, 02:20 PM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mizzfixit2
". . . I know they sell the kits to insulate the tanks . . ."
I have one of those kits around here somewhere; unused because the toilete went into production before the kit was used and has never been dried out since.

Will a hardware store tell you what kind of adhesive is included in the kit ?

I have resorted in the past to tying a short strip of cloth around the incoming water line and created a drip strip to direct the water into a small container. That works fine if you have multiple baths and the fixture isn't used frequently.

If I can set my eyes on that "kit" I'll report back on what kind of glue was included.

Old 11-19-16, 03:32 PM
M
Sure appreciate all the feedback. I might try the Loctite or Gorilla Silicone from Menards then and see how it goes unless someone comes back with something better. I will also try find out what they use in them kits, good idea. I live in Canada and heat with wood so my house gets cool at night and can be warm at times .. depending on how many sticks I throw in. These toilets are in a house in Wisconsin and I stay here when I work on the house. I keep it less than 70F ... maybe I would never have a problem but it sounds like a lot of people have problems with sweaty tanks (online forums) ... figured I would insulate before I fill them with water, don't want to take a chance ... would like to leave the new owners with Non sweaty tanks. Anyhow, thanks a lot for help...

Old 11-19-16, 03:51 PM
Or a tongue-in-cheek solution Exterior insulation.

Name:  toilet.jpg
Views: 5808
Size:  22.6 KB

Old 04-06-17, 10:52 AM
M
Smile Tube of Loctite & my old camping mat ...

I lined out the toilets with my camping mat. Found a tube of Loctite at Menards, good for aquariums. Adhered, let it dry, topped off the top with some caulk and it has been working fine. Been months now. Just need iron remover now..Name:  Toilet.jpg
Views: 9376
Size:  30.8 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: