Shower diverter just spins without turning diverter

Old 11-26-16, 05:39 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower diverter just spins without turning diverter

Hi.

I will eventually be converting to a MOAN type one handle shower/bath, but for now I have to deal with an outdated old 3 handle system for the shower/bath.

So, the last year the middle knob just spins loosely and doesn't actually turn the diverter valve and so it's very difficult to select just the faucet for a bath or back to the shower, etc.

Is there an easy way to fix this knob until I get it converted to a one handle type system?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-16, 07:04 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
There are several different ways the knob can be attached. Some have a setscrew that might just need to be tightened. They often require an allen key to tighten. Some have a keyed or splined or flatted shaft with a screw to hold the knob on, often hidden behind a press in trim piece on the end of the knob.

If you post a couple pictures of the knob, we can probably answer your question better.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 11-26-16, 09:12 PM
B
thanks ill post a pic tomorrow

Old 11-26-16, 11:12 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 619 Votes on 572 Posts
If the diverter knob has been spinning for some time it's likely something will need to be replaced. Either the handle (most common) or the stem. Neither is terribly expensive and there are generic replacement handles available that will work OK for a reasonably short while. Or, there is the old Vice Grip pliers method that works pretty well but not the most attractive and the Vice grips cost about as much as a replacement knob to fix it properly.

Old 11-27-16, 08:13 AM
B
I took the cap off last night and from what I could make out it looks like I need some type of star or hex key. It looked more like a star. I hope it's not stripped.

Old 11-27-16, 04:45 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Might be a torx screw:

Name:  4025_[_TORX_Bit_]_Drawing.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  20.5 KB

Drivers come in several sizes.

Old 11-27-16, 05:39 PM
B
No, it's a standard phillips, but there's a problem. You can turn it all night and it doesn't come out it just actually turns the diverter itself if I go to the left I think I get the shower and the right back to the tub. The screw doesn't want to come out and I don't wanna force it.