How much would it cost to install one of those "all in one" bath tub wall things

Old 11-27-16, 11:07 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How much would it cost to install one of those "all in one" bath tub wall things

Hi.

I noticed that Depot and Lowe's have those "all in one" bathtub and surround systems that I was thinking of upgrading and old 1971 bathroom with a yucky pink tub and cheap cheap fake tile type wall board that's getting pretty "gross" looking.

So, what do you think on average it would cost to remove my existing tub and replace with one of these "systems" with the new tub and wall that locks together (seamless?)?

Maybe I should just schedule an estimate from one of the "big box" stores?

Just wondering.

Old 11-27-16, 11:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You won't be able to get a one piece tub/shower unit through your doors and hallways, and may not can stand it up in the bathroom even if you could get it in. A two piece unit with a tub as one part and a surround as a second part would be easier to handle. All the walls must be removed down to studs in order to install the tub and surround correctly. A cheap flimsy surround will be nothing but headaches, so pay for a better quality unit from the get go.

This is a DIY forum, so we don't have access to any cost factors for contractors to do the job for you. You could get 3 estimates and choose from them if you decide not to DIY.

Old 11-27-16, 01:20 PM
B
Thanks Larry, I meant a 2 piece sorry. Actually it may even be a 3 pieces surround? I thought that's how some come and then they fit right onto the tub also.

So to put in a 2 piece they remove the wall also? I thought that the "surround" part just went right over the wall, but I think you are right.

Old 11-27-16, 01:43 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Going to get some huge price differences until you narrow it down to exactly what it is you want done and what your budget is.
Is this the only bathroom?
Last place I'd be getting prices to do a remodel is a box store!
Cheap out and you'll end up with a thin tub that at some point is going to crack and need to be replaced again.
How long do you plan on living in this house?

Old 11-28-16, 05:46 AM
B
Plan on living there maybe until I'm dead lol. I don't wanna go cheap cheap, but somewhere in the middle. Yes, it's the only bathroom. So, you're saying "put in the best I can afford" right?

Old 11-28-16, 06:02 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
We got flooded in March 2016 here in north Louisiana. During the repairs, we decided while we had the house torn apart, we would go ahead & completely update the whole house from 1970's to 2016.

We had both bathrooms gutted which included removing the old tubs & replacing with tub & surround in the hall bath & a shower/surround in the master bath.

I cant tell you really what it cost because we had my wife's brother who is a plummer for probably 30 years, do ours along with several other pluming jobs for one price.... & the brother/sister discount.

My point is, yes, we had him remove all the old 4" ceramic tiles on the wall etc. We did not go over the tile with the surround.

As a side note, the surrounds we used were three piece. The tub & shower floor piece was a separate piece. Therefore to be clear. The surround was a three piece unit. Then the tub or shower floor.... total 4 pieces for each bathroom.

We bought ours from Lowe's... brother-in-law installed it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: