Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Critique my plumbing

Name:  IMG_1664.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  40.1 KBName:  IMG_1666.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  38.1 KBName:  IMG_1668.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  27.7 KBLooking for opinions on how to proceed and rework what is necessary.

We had this house built last year, but only had them do the plumbing rough-in and place the fiberglass shower stall in the room. I've completed insulation and started drywall. I needed to route the supply for the shower over to the left.
At first, I thought I'd just build a false wall behind the stall so that the supply line should would be routed into a heated area of the room. After looking a bit more, I determined that the position of the drain in the floor requires the shower stall to be all the way against the wall- building a false wall would push the shower stall too far over and the hole in the bottom of the fiberglass stall would not align with the drain.
So, I can remove some of the insulation and move the 2x4 support to be between the studs instead of in front of them, but what precautions do I need to take to make sure they don't freeze.
For what it's worth, this is not an exterior wall. There is unfinished /unconditioned attic on the other side of it.

I'm open to hearing whatever criticism you have about my plumbing thus far or any tips you think might be helpful. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-16, 09:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,114 Votes on 1,034 Posts
It looks like the pipes are sitting outside the wall. If that is correct you are going to have problems with any installation.

Old 12-10-16, 11:28 AM
Received 371 Votes on 346 Posts
From the picture it looks like the plumbing is PVC?

PVC is not approved for hot water, and in many places not allowed within the house structure even for cold water?

If correct you may want to check your local codes!

Old 12-10-16, 11:37 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plumbing is CPVC.
The supply rough in came up into the bay farthest over to the right( near the corner). I wanted to avoid drilling through the studs because they are part of the truss. Isn't that what I should do? I have a little space behind the fiberglass shower stall that I thought could be used by the plumbing.

One other question I should've mentioned in the original post...do I need to allow for access to the mixer valve from behind? Should I be constructing a little box with a hatch on it for the mixer valve that I can open from the attic side of the wall in case it ever needs to be serviced? I'd still need to insulate inside the box to prevent the cold attic air from freezing the pipes.