Spring Loaded Pop Up Drain Stuck

Old 12-12-16, 09:10 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Spring Loaded Pop Up Drain Stuck

Hello,
I have a sink with a spring-loaded pop-up drain cover, and it's currently stuck in the down position, thus rendering my sink useless except for an indoor bird bath. I've tried prying it up with a small screwdriver and have looked underneath it to try and find some way to pop it back open, but so far I haven't had any luck. Maybe I'm missing something, but are there any suggestions for popping that up without disassembling the entire drain?

Thanks!

Old 12-12-16, 09:23 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Try unscrewing (CCW) the top of the plug assembly; sometimes the top portion screws on. Using one of the rubber mats sold as an aid to unscrewing jar caps may help you get enough of a grip to loosen it.

If you get the top off, you may find that leaving it a little loose will restore correct operation of the plug; that's usually a sign that the gasket under the cap has worn a bit and may need replacement.

Old 12-12-16, 02:25 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it was too tight to twist while it was down, but I was able to find a long object to stick up the pipe after removing the trap and get the plug to release. Once it was up, I was able to twist it off and found an earring in there! Unfortunately even with the earring removed, the spring was still rough to go up and down, even with the cap removed, so I'm thinking the spring needs to be replaced.

Thanks again for the assist.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: