Cracked toilet tank bolt

Old 02-09-17, 07:14 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cracked toilet tank bolt

What are my options if there is a leak at one of the tank bolts and when I tried to tighten it,the head of the bolt cracked off?Can I get the threaded part out of the tank?

Old 02-09-17, 07:31 AM
A
Received 276 Upvotes on 252 Posts
The threaded part wil probably drop out of the tank after you peel off the rubber washer but you may have to undo the other tank bolt and remove the tank to twist apart or perhaps saw apart the rusted bolt remains and the nuts at the back of the bowl.

Old 02-09-17, 07:37 AM
J
Thanks for the help.Im gonna try loosening the nut with an adjustable wrench.I don't wanna have to pull the toilet

Old 02-09-17, 08:28 AM
J
Well I got the nut off the broken screw but that screw isn't budging.Thinking about trying an easyout bit with a drill but don't want to crack the tank.Any thoughts?

Old 02-09-17, 10:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
Unless I'm missing something you should be able to just grab onto the exposed threads with a vise-grips and twist it back and forth while applying some downward pressure.

Old 02-09-17, 02:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I may be missing more than John, but the tank to bowl bolts are not threaded. You should remove the tank whenever you get the two bolts loosened and replace them by buying two tank to bowl bolt kits. Install this way top to bottom: Wide head bolt through rubber washer into hole in tank. From bottom install rubber washer, metal washer and nut. Now your tank is leak proof. Install it on the bowl using a metal washer and nut as it was originally supplied. Don't use any drill or other mechanical tool other than screw driver and wrenches.

Old 02-09-17, 04:40 PM
W
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hi, I think there may be a nut on the bolts between the bowl and tank. I presume you shut off the angle stop and drained all the water from the tank. Remove the nut on the good bolt and remove the hose from the angle stop. Lift the tank off the bowl and see what you have.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 02-16-17, 09:57 AM
A
Received 276 Upvotes on 252 Posts
There will usually be a nut between the bowl and the tank, including if the tank bolts and washers were installed using the previous post.

There is also a nut under the rear bowl flange just under the tank so, after the bolt head rusted off, you have a cuff link or stud earring with two nuts and the remains of the bolt in between, stuck and rattling on the bowl flange. You might be able to saw this piece in two without removing the tank by inserting a hacksaw blade between the bowl and the tank.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: