Need help selecting bathtub plumbing

Old 02-11-17, 03:00 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Need help selecting bathtub plumbing

I am confused as to what is involved in selecting trim for my bathtub remodel. I am replacing all the plumbing rough in valve to trim. All I have ever thought of is the trim; lever, bezel, spout etc. As I try to choose I see there is much more to it.

I think I want Delta just for it's reputation, reliability, and parts availability. Where I am confused is in what exactly do I have to choose? Do I buy the rough-in valve separate from the cartridge separate from the trim?

I am little frustrated because I just want a plain ole brushed nickle Delta bathtub/shower faucet for my new tub! Nothing fancy required.

Old 02-11-17, 06:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Often you buy the tub/shower kit which includes the tub overflow, spout and mixer cover as well as a shower head and tube. Now, you can buy each item separately if you already have your mixing valve in place. The escutcheon plate is just "pretty" and can be whatever finish you want. We usually buy the mixing valve of choice and let the customer pick out the "pretty", keeping in mind the same manufacturer. Having the mixing valve on hand without the "pretty" keeps all the miscellaneous parts from being scattered out and lost or damaged.

This is basic Delta Classic Single-Handle 1-Spray Tub and Shower Faucet in Chrome-134900 - The Home Depot

You would need this to finish the job: Westbrass Trip Lever Overflow Faceplate in Polished Chrome-792Z-CP - The Home Depot

Old 02-11-17, 06:48 AM
Hello chandler,

Sure, I would like a kit that just contains everything I need to do the job. I have looked at the two links. So, I am clear. This has the rough-in valve included.

Included Components- Handles,Pressure Balance/Scald Guard,Required rough-in valve

Is that the same as the "mixing valve" you mention? Where or what is the cartridge that I see mentioned in other posts?

Old 02-11-17, 05:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It includes the handles, the pressure balance and scald guard feature and the required rough in valve, so it is a complete unit. Engrish is funny.

Old 02-11-17, 08:04 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Delta units that I've installed required you to by a universal rough in valve body and then the trim. Trim should have the mixing valve included with the other parts (shower head, escutcheon, tub spout). Or be like me, I open everything up and take a peek inside. On the universal rough ins, I have upgraded and use the ones with the integral shut offs incorporated. You don't have to shut water off to the whole house just to change a cartridge.

Old 02-12-17, 01:28 AM
Thank you for the replies. I think I get it now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: