Replaced buoy gizmo and now there's a continues flow at the back of the toilet

Old 02-26-17, 08:41 PM
M
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Replaced buoy gizmo and now there's a continues flow at the back of the toilet

I figured the flapper may not be securing so I held it in place to the point the I could barely get it back out and the back of the toilet running water didn't subside so I know it's not that. Did some online searches and maybe it's the fill tube but I couldn't find out how to adjust it, any ideas?

Old 02-27-17, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
You can't adjust the fill tube on the flush valve except to shorten it by cutting. Depending on the type FILL VALVE you have, you can lower it and the float and lower the water level, assuming that's what you have a problem with. If it's a float on an arm, you just bend the arm.

Water level doesn't just change out of the blue unless your fill valve or float assy is bad. Assuming that what you are saying you think the problem is. Kinda hard to tell.

You've asked enough questions on here that you should know we need a better explanation and a few more details or pictures to really help. "Replaced buoy gizmo" tells us nothing. Did you read the directions that came with the buoy gizmo? Why don't you look at a few online diagrams or search "how to replace a toilet fill valve" or images "parts of a toilet" and get back to us?

Old 02-27-17, 04:24 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Did you install a new fill valve assembly or just a new float?

If you lift up on the float does the flow of water stop? If it does than the fill valve you installed is not adjusted properly.

Old 03-01-17, 09:04 PM
M
Here's a pic of the newly installed part. It came with everything sans the flapper and the erect cylinder.
It's basically the thing with the grey cap on top and the tube that extends from it.
I watched an instructional video on how to install it and I'm almost certain I did it correctly...

Old 03-01-17, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator
So all you did was install a fill valve (terminology is important, isn't it in your job?)

I don't recognize the brand? Why not a regular old Fluidmaster? It looks installed correctly, though the hose into the overflow tube looks a little deep, maybe it's just the pic.

It looks like the whole valve body is way down in the tank as well. How do you adjust the water level? Check the written instructions for that, as again, I don't recognize the brand.

Nevermind...I found it, it's a Korky. Did you watch their troubleshooting video? The first thing they ask is if the height is correct. I can't tell from the pic. If none of those issues addressed in the video fix it, look at their servicing any valve video. If none of that helps, then you could just have a faulty valve. Take it back and get a Fluidmaster.

Old 03-02-17, 04:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Take the fill hose off and make sure you are getting good flow out of it. Put hose in bucket of toilet if it will reach.

Old 03-02-17, 08:11 AM
Z
Received 124 Upvotes on 115 Posts
This video seems pretty good. Can’t tell from your pic the height relationship between your fill valve and the overflow tube. But this video shows how it should be set and how to change the height.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF6gKvlxICA

Did some online searches and maybe it's the refill tube but I couldn't find out how to adjust it, any ideas?
This guy covers that in this video. Can’t tell from your pic how far down the refill tube is inserted into the overflow tube. I would bet most likely that’s not your problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnsS8Vb12aI

Maybe it’s the refill-adjustment as is addressed in the second half of this video. I wonder what happens if the refill-adjustment is in the full open position. Maybe the tank would never fill. Doesn’t seem likely but maybe you could play with that adjustment and see what happens.

How to Replace a Toilet Fill Valve - Videos | Korky®
(choose "Toilet Fill Valve Installation" video on that page)

just thought of one more thing. I don't know whether the other guys would agree but i would turn off the supply with water in the tank and make sure it doesn't drain down into the bowl. In other words a check on the flapper and entire flush valve. I think I've already caused a problem with my fat hands in the tank accidentally disturbing the flush valve while I was doing something else. but I guess it was probably already in bad shape - don't remember.

Last edited by zoesdad; 03-02-17 at 08:30 AM. Reason: one more thing
Old 03-02-17, 10:53 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Your chain to the flush valve looks a little taunt. This can prevent the flush valve from sealing correctly. May need a little slack in the chain so the flush valve can fall hard and seal after the flush. This issue would have the fill valve coming on and off, when the toilet is not in use. If you are saying that the fill valve is running constantly, then obviously it is overflowing to the overflow tube or you would eventually have a big mess on your bathroom floor. I would then ensure that the fill valve CAN shut off by manually lifting it. If it does when you lift it by hand then the problem is an easy one. It needs to be adjusted for less water in the tank. The water level cannot be allowed to rise above the overflow tube or it will never shut off.

Old 03-02-17, 12:01 PM
M
I'll look at the videos more closely but I do know that I adjusted the height according to the video and it's definitely not the flapper since I manually held that bad boy in so tight that I could barely get it back out of the hole

Old 03-03-17, 06:42 AM
O
You don't need a video. Is the water running into the little tube sticking up from the flapper valve. I suspect it is because you are telling me the flapper is sealed and the fill valve is running. Now with your hand, lift up on the fill valve and see if it shuts off. It should. If it doesn't then you need a new fill valve. If it does shut off then you need to adjust it to a lower level.

Just so we are all on the same page. The fill valve mechanism works like this. As the water rise the float part of the fill valve rises. At some point of the rising water the float will shut off the fill valve. If the fill valve is set for too high of water level and the water is running down that overflow tube you should be able to understand that the water cannot rise any further then the top of that overflow tube. If the fill valve has not shut off by the time the water rises to the overflow tube it will never shut off, since as I said, the water cannot rise any further. A good thing since if it could you would now have a nasty water mess around your toilet because the water would rise out of the tank.

Old 03-03-17, 06:34 PM
M
I tried pulling up on the fill valve, it doesn't move (other than to adjust the height which I did according to the specs on the video).

The only thing to note is there's a dial that I highlighted in the picture that if it's to the right, water comes out of the little tube (and into the pipe that sticks out from the flapper.
If it's dialed to the left the tube only drips water out and I guess it's filling via the fill valve.
Either way it doesn't matter, the back of the toilet bowl still has a constant flow.
It starts as soon as I turn the water line on and stops when I turn it off regardless of the height of the fill valve, regardless of the dial being to the right or left, and regardless if the tube is placed inside the vertical hollow pipe or left outside of it.
This is way to much effort for a $12 item, I'm just going to get a fluidmaster next time I'm at HD

Old 03-03-17, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator
Well, have you even popped the top off the valve as it showed in the servicing vid? It could be something simple. In fact, it has to be. Turlets ain't rocket science.

I don't know why you spent so much time explaining about the fill hose. That's not a problem. As long as water is flowing through the valve into the tank, then water will flow through the fill hose. And the little dial valve is just a flow adjustment. Never saw one before and don't know why it would be needed. If you understood how the entire toilet functioned you'd have a much better understanding of what might be wrong with one component of it causing a specific problem. You don't go and check your city cleanout when the toilet clogs after a big BM do you?

When you have a problem like this, you need to focus on what the real issue is. In this case it's the fill valve never completely closing and allowing water in to the tank constantly. If you are absolutely sure the height is correct, then a simple turn and squeeze would remove the top of the fill valve and expose it's guts. It could be a chunk of rubber or debris in the way, a stuck float, or just a defective valve.

Whether it's a toilet, a washing machine, or your central heat knowing the basic function of the system OVERALL, at least allows you to explain the problem. Don't make guesses and add a bunch of extraneous info to the mix.

You could have found the problem with the toilet in <5 min if you had just followed a simple logical troubleshooting method.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 03-04-17 at 02:27 AM.
Old 03-04-17, 01:20 PM
O
Unfortuneately I am not familiar with that fill valve but as you said, it is not an expensive item and it is almost definitely the cause of the problem.

I would imagine the dial you referred to would allow you to set the amount of water that you want remaining in the toilet bowl after a flush. Some people are very conservative on their water use, either because they are environmentally uptight ...or...they live in an area where water is very scarce. That feature would allow them to reduce that amount of water that remains in the bowl, that is not really needed for the flush. The only real benefit of having a little more water in the bowl, in my opinion, is to reduce the occurrence of a concept that I believe is called streaking. Hopefully you can figure out what might streak across a toilet bowl that might appear to be disgusting and would therefore require more frequent cleaning (like after each use).

Anyway, a little more water in the bowl keeps stuff away from the edges of the bowl, a little more. Of course, there are always going to be those days and where no amount of water is going to help ... but lets not get into that and end the discussion here. lol.

Old 03-09-17, 05:14 PM
M
I researched how a toilet works and for this problem, there's only two ways water gets in the bowl:
- from the hollow tube sticking up from the flapper
- from the flapper

I adjusted the height of the fill valve so that the water level never reached the top opening of the hollow tube.

It had to be the flapper.

I replaced the flapper, problem solved.

Old 03-09-17, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator
Well, what you said makes absolutely no sense based on what you told us in your prior statements, but if it's fixed...ehhh.

Old 03-10-17, 06:55 AM
Z
Received 124 Upvotes on 115 Posts
Michael –

there's only two ways water gets in the bowl:
- from the hollow tube sticking up from the flapper
- from the flapper
That’s not correct. The flush valve can leak at the connection to the tank if not tightened down properly. It won’t leak on the floor, but it will leak into the bowl. I’ve been burnt already installing a toilet because the very detailed instructions led you to believe the flush valve was properly tightened to the tank at the factory and you weren’t supposed to touch it. But it wasn’t tightened enough and the leak fooled me for quite a while.

When looking for a leak like you had I shut off the supply and have water in the tank. Then wait and see if the water level stops dropping at the flapper or if it continues to drain – which would indicate the flush valve connection at the tank is loose. If instead the water level stops right at the flapper level – you know it’s the flapper.

(But I agree with Gunguy – you had us going here because you said you had positively eliminated the flapper. Bad boy!!!)

(ahhh- just thought of something.When you were holding the flapper down you probably didn't wait long enough. If you did you probably would have seen the water rising in the tank thus verifying the flapper was the problem. That's why I suggested also in the previous post you put water in the tank with the supply off and wait to see if it leaks.)

Name:  flush valve leak points.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  39.8 KB

Old 03-10-17, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator
I shut off the supply and have water in the tank. Then wait and see if the water level stops dropping at the flapper or if it continues to drain – which would indicate the flush valve connection at the tank is loose.
As you suggested in post 7 and were ignored.

I adjusted the height of the fill valve so that the water level never reached the top opening of the hollow tube.
Of course we were told 3 times prior that the height was adjusted correctly. And the very first thing Korky says in their trouble shooting video is how to check the height, then moves right into turning the water off, marking the height of the water in the tank and checking it later, to verify operation of the flapper. https://youtu.be/FGRzNQt__m0

Like I said, logical troubleshooting and understanding how the system works would have solved the issue in 5 min instead of a week of guessing and wasting time.

Old 03-10-17, 01:52 PM
M
the only confusing statement would be from the first post:
"I figured the flapper may not be securing so I held it in place to the point the I could barely get it back out and the back of the toilet running water didn't subside so I know it's not that."

However the guy at the HD told me that sometimes flappers wharp so I was likely pushing down a wharped flapper (something that wasn't covered here).

As far as adjusting the fill line height per the Korky instructions - that never was the problem. The problem was with the wharped flapper.

Actually it's the picture above that would have solved all of this, nothing to do with the height, it was the flapper

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: