Walk in shower to bathtub

Old 03-03-17, 12:01 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Walk in shower to bathtub

I am looking into removing my current walkin shower and replacing it with a bathtub. The only thing I am unsure of is hooking the bathtub drain up to the existing drain. The house was built in 89 if the year helps. The drain appears to simply be a pvc fitting flush to the concrete/shower floor tile. I assume it's a standard walk in shower drain. The current shower is roughly the size of a standard bathtub and the current drain is in the middle. Am I going to have to rip up the concrete?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-17, 12:06 PM
Received 370 Votes on 345 Posts
Drain locations are different between a shower to tub.

Old 03-03-17, 01:20 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 625 Votes on 578 Posts
You will likely have to move your drain line location which will mean breaking concrete. So, it will be important to know the drain location of your new tub before doing the rough in work.

Old 03-03-17, 01:45 PM
J
That's what I was afraid of. I have been looking at center drain tubs to try a match up the hole location to what I currently have to avoid having to break up and redo the concrete.

Old 03-03-17, 03:04 PM
I'm an amateur DIYer so keep that in mind. I wonder if you could buy one of those 'drop in' tubs that are a bit off the floor, and run your new plumbing underneath it to the old drain. You still might have to get into the concrete but maybe just maybe it would be a lot less concrete that you have to cut up.

Old 03-03-17, 03:33 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Current drain set up for a shower is 2", tubs take 1 1/2" drains. You will need access to install which is different from the shower drain. Plan on an interior wall that you can open up from behind to put the supply and drains on that wall.

Old 03-03-17, 04:44 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 625 Votes on 578 Posts
I would NOT try to route the tub drain back underneath the tub to catch the current drain location. There is a trap in the floor and adding two 90 degree bends before ever getting to the trap will make it nearly impossible to clear a clog. Also, most/all standard tub drain hardware goes down from the drain end and does not double back under the tub.

Old 03-03-17, 05:06 PM
Thankfully someone knows more than I do. Which is why I am now visiting this forum.

Old 03-04-17, 07:12 AM
J
Thank you all for the input. So basically it looks like I'm removing the concrete and putting in a new drain. As of now, I think I'm leaning towards a drop in tub. For access, I imagine I would hook everything up after the rough in of the 2x4's and cement board, then do the finish work. Should I try and create an access panel for later on down the road?

Old 03-04-17, 11:57 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
You could do an access panel or make sure you have sufficient left over tile to make a repair should you need to access the drain down the road.

Old 03-04-17, 12:54 PM
J
It will end up having a decorative molding on it similar to a picture frame, so I think I will stick with the access panel hidden by the molding.

Old 03-10-17, 11:40 AM
J
Well this project is going to turn into more then simply replacing the shower with a tub. I have the demolishion of the shower done, but I found quite a bit of water damage along the exterior facing wall. I have a window along that wall. The window was never installed properly which I'm assuming was a remodel. I found duck tape in the corners of the window which was never caulked.

With that being said, the tar paper and reflective insulation board was heavily damaged so I removed it. I'm going to rip out the window and 2x4's and replace them with new. The stucco appears to be in good shape. Is there any reason why I couldn't replace the tar paper and reflective insulation from the inside prior to installing the new 2x4's?

As far as the drain goes, it is not the original drain, it's not even secured in the concrete. It's sort of just floating there. Will definitely rip that up.