Toilet Flange Adjustment

Old 03-11-17, 11:10 PM
T
Received 72 Upvotes on 67 Posts
Toilet Flange Adjustment

Going to be starting a bathroom remodel soon getting prepared. My current toilet flange sit roughly on top of the slab floor. Maybe slightly higher. Current floor is vinyl. Will be installing tile which will cause flange to be even or slightly below tile. Was planning on using something like this extension ring

https://www.amazon.com/Sioux-Chief-M.../dp/B000JUYF5C

to raise it up to it's proper height. Current flange looks to be black abs? House was built in 1998.

Was planning on using silicone between extension ring and current flange as permanent seal and then wax on top as normal. Do I need to secure this flange to concrete slab? If so how? Or will silicone and toilet bolts be enough.

What dissolves the wax so after wiping the flange to get as much of the wax as I can, I will be able to clean flange to allow silicone to seal?

Old 03-12-17, 06:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
What you have planned is good. Clean the existing flange with MEK or Mineral spirits. Don't let it sit on there. Just moisten a cloth and wipe it off. You possible could use alcohol. Yes you would need to drill into the concrete and fasten it down once you silicone it in. Make sure it is in the same key position as the original and use bevel head Tapcons to secure it. Don't overtighten it, as it will crack.

Old 03-12-17, 07:54 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I don't see what a 1/4" extension flange is going to gain you. I would simply use longer bolts and double up on a wax ring and move on from there. Remove vinyl (1/8") add tile (1/4") the difference is negligible.

Old 03-12-17, 07:57 AM
After second cup of coffee, I re-read about slab floor. What Chris is saying is right. No need for an extension if it is sitting on the slab. R&R of flooring will not cause any problems and will save drilling holes, etc. You could use Everbilt Extra Thick Wax Toilet Bowl Gasket with Flange-7513 - The Home Depot

Old 03-12-17, 11:15 AM
T
Received 72 Upvotes on 67 Posts
Copy. Her's a pic of current setup. So with a mortar bed the flange will be below the finished tile. I've just read that that was always a no no? That the bottom of flange is supposed to be even with finished floor. You're saying not to worry though?

Edit: Yes I planned to remove vinyl.

Name:  20170312_100910[1].jpg
Views: 241
Size:  18.6 KB

Old 03-12-17, 12:03 PM
At that point you will gain 1/8" and it should be somewhat flush. No, it won't matter as long as the wax ring makes a good seal. That is why I suggested the extra thick ring.

Old 01-11-18, 04:32 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hi guys, so as you some of you already know I am planning on doing a floor tile project. This project extends into the bathroom too. My house is around 1999 so I am guessing I will find my flange to be black ABS. I read through the posts in here, but just want to confirm my thinking. After I get my flooring project done my floor will be at least 1/4" higher. Since the ABS piping and flange are chemically wielded I do not want to re-do any of that. So as I understand it, the goal is to have the flange flush with the tile, or up to 1/4" higher. Depending on that amount you can use flange extenders, or various thickness of wax ring. I like the thicker wax ring idea, and around here its generally a no no to use two rings, instead buy the one thick one.

So I guess my question is, if thicker wax rings are so good, when would I consider using those flange extenders? Would it be when the flange is greater than a certain amount below the floor surface? If so how much so? And regarding the flange being higher than the floor, what would be too high? Thanks again guys.

Some extenders:
https://www.amazon.ca/Set-Rite-Produ.../dp/B0025VS1US

https://www.amazon.com/Sioux-Chief-M.../dp/B000JUYF5C

https://www.amazon.ca/Set-Rite-Produ...lange+extender

https://www.amazon.ca/Oatey-43539-Fl...lange+extender

Old 01-11-18, 07:54 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I've always just stacked wax rings on top of each other and never loose sleep over it. Just make sure the wax is at room temperature so it is soft enough to conform the way you want it. Don't try to bring a seal out of your car at 30 degrees and install it. I place the wax ring in the room or in my office the night before to make sure it is the right temperature.

Old 01-13-18, 06:05 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by czizzi
I've always just stacked wax rings on top of each other and never loose sleep over it. .........

Thanks Czizzi, yeah I know there are people that do it, but around here, that is very unpopular. Probably because there were too many failures, and likely due to sloppy work, not having the wax wark like you say, etc.

Can anyone else address the height requirements when you have time?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: