New toilet has a chip

Old 03-21-17, 08:20 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New toilet has a chip

Purchased a new toilet and there is a chip in the bottom around where the toilet empties into the drain pipe. It is a decent sized chip. We can't seem to get a seal once we put the toilet down. It is a small leak and we have gone through 3 wax rings. We are using "the perfect ring" as using just a wax ring doesn't work due to always hitting the bolts with the ring which means that it does not seal. We don't want to return the toilet if we can avoid it as it is a hassle to move it out and then a new one back in. Any advise of what we can do?

Old 03-21-17, 09:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A good size chip or a chunk ?
The wax seal should not have a problem filling in a chip.

Any way of posting a picture for us ? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 03-22-17, 03:58 AM
L
Unfortunately I can't take a pic, it is currently sitting in its spot and I can't pick it up. It isn't a chunk though, just a chip on the inside lip of the hole. Its good to know that it can't be what's causing the leak. The problem I'm having is that we can't use the traditional wax ring as we have tried to and always seem to get it snagged on one of the bolts. Could it be that it HAS to have a regular wax ring? Could we possibly use the green foam ring since it kinda squishes down to form the seal?

Old 03-22-17, 04:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Not sure I understand about the wax seal getting snagged on the bolts. It doesn't hurt for the wax to get on the bolts. If one wax seal doesn't do the job you can double up on them. Personally, I'd return the chipped commode.

Old 03-22-17, 04:46 AM
L
Its getting snagged as we are trying to put the toilet down. We have a difficult time getting the bolts lined up. This causes more movement and means when we use a regular was ring it doesn't get a seal. We struggled with this toilet for a full day already and have had to pick one up off the floor over a dozen times, including moving 2 out to the road (we had an extra that ended up being broken as well). Was trying to avoid having to box up this one, get it out to the truck, take it into the store, getting another off the shelf, get it loaded into the truck, then lugging it into the house.

Old 03-22-17, 05:15 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
[Bolts are] getting snagged as we are trying to put the toilet down. We have a difficult time getting the bolts lined up.
Bolts should have a plastic or steel speed nut holding them in place. Speed nuts should have come with the new bolts. (Speed nuts go on top of the flange then the toilet.)

Name:  bbe71b94-c421-4ae2-909e-e285aec990c7_400_compressed.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  7.0 KB Name:  U-Speed-Nut-(Push)_0168-L.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  6.7 KB

You can also use a bit of wax to hold the bolts in place.

Old 03-22-17, 05:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Unfortunately you need a helper or practice getting the toilet down straight onto the bolts. Installing the toilet without the tank can reduce the weight and make it a bit easier. And a blob of wax from a wax ring can be used to hold the bolts in place and vertical. Then it's up to you do drop the toilet straight down onto them. It's not easy but that's how it needs to be installed. You really can't do much sliding or moving of the toilet once it's down as that destroys wax rings and can push non-wax rings out of place or cause their seal to fold over or be pinched.

Old 03-22-17, 06:35 AM
L
Want to come to Indiana and help? lol. We have practiced and tried and tried without the tank. It seems we just can't figure it out. And with my other half being disabled it makes it more difficult. No friends or family to help with this, so we are on our own. Anyone know if the green foam ring works better?

Old 03-22-17, 06:38 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
In this case you should hire a plumber. Expensive? Yes. Necessary? Yes!

Old 03-22-17, 08:44 AM
O
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Once the toilet goes down on the ring it either seals or you should most likely use another ring. Did you try a dry run first. Without the wax ring, lower the toilet down in position. This will give you a feel for how it will go when doing it for good as well as tell you if it is sitting solid or rocking, etc. If it is not sitting solid or you are still having trouble aligning it, putting the ring in place is not going to improve your results. You have to get those issues resolved before you put it on for good.

Also, use the wax rings with the plastic funnel material attached to them. They are much better.

Old 03-22-17, 12:08 PM
I straddle the toilet, one leg on each side of the bowl, lift with my knees, waddle over to the correct position and squat bending my knees.

Old 03-22-17, 01:07 PM
I'm having a hard time understanding where the chip is. Is it around the horn at the base of the toilet that sets inside the wax ring? Or is it in the bowl visible beneath the water line?

I use 4 nuts - one set holds the bolts tight to the flange, the other set hold the toilet to the bolts. Set your wax ring on the flange and then lower the toilet onto it instead of sticking the ring to the base of the toilet first. Use a thick #10 wax ring. I straddle the bowl like Ray does and waddle into place.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: