Quick kitchen sink question

Old 04-28-17, 06:57 AM
H
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Quick kitchen sink question

I just replaced old, not done correctly, piping under my kitchen, including the strainer basket. I used PVC. Everything is fine except the basket to the first piece of drainpipe has a very tiny slow leak. The washer that came with the basket is hard clear plastic. Does anyone know if/where I could find a rubber replacement? I think this would solve the issue but I can't find just a rubber washer for the application. Or will any washer do?

This would be the washing that connects the basket to the 1 1/2 pipe.

Old 04-28-17, 07:42 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The only place I know has rubber here is Lowe's. It's called a tailpiece washer.

It's leaking because of misalignment, a plastic washer will work without leaks.

Try relieving stress off of the vertical tailpiece by loosening all joints. Using a new washer, tighten the tailpiece to the strainer first, then make your horizontal connections over to disposer or other.

Old 04-28-17, 08:13 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I used PVC.
Do you mean schedule 40 pipe and solvent cement joints or PVC tubing with slip joints. Schedule 40 can be a lot more difficult to align so it won't leak. Any time I encounter a drain done with schedule 40 I cut it out and replace with slip joint fittings.

Old 04-29-17, 06:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Unlike Brian, I never use the provided plastic nut at the strainer. It just seems the threads don't mesh perfectly and will slip. I use a metal nut over the PVC tailpiece. Good solid attachment, metal to metal.

Old 04-29-17, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unlike Brian, I never use the provided plastic nut at the strainer
You are not unlike Brian I was talking a rubber tailpiece washer.

It's true a standard plastic slip nut will not thread onto a strainer basket, the basket comes with a brass nut or you can purchase one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: