new toilet

Old 05-15-17, 06:38 AM
F
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
new toilet

I posted a while ago about a slow toilet and doing a lot of plunging. as i stated before I pulled the toilet and the pipe below was clogged with calcium buildup, so i cleaned that out and replaced it. used it for a while and then started having problems again. someone on here said to check the toilet for obstructions in the trapway. pulled the toilet again and it was also plugged with calcium buildup. cleaned it out today and will try it again, but I am guessing this will be an on going problem and should replace the toilet. I notice some of you recommend the a/s cadet. it says it has a power flush assist. what is that and how is it different from a regular toilet?? I am looking at lowes and menards and see toilets for under 100 dollars. would any of them be adequate or should I be looking at something better quality? the one at lowes says it has a fully glazed trap and I was wondering if this is part of the problem with the original one and the problem I have now. any thought or suggestions on which way you would go? I don't want to spend the next years with a plunger in my hand. thanks

frank

Old 05-15-17, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
American standard champion 4 is my recommendation. all I use and install..

Old 05-15-17, 09:11 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I like Toto Drake toilets.

Old 05-15-17, 09:39 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
We've done a ton of renovations over the last 15 years, and have multiple rental units. We want happy tenants and don't need late night calls about toilet issues. IMO, the best toilets are Toto. We typically use the Drake 2 for our bathrooms and the rentals. The very best price I've found is supply.com. Essentially for $200-250 you can have it delivered right to your house! That is much better than the trip to the big box store - IMO.

If that style isn't quite what you want, they do have other choices. We wanted a round bowl and standard height. They make many others with options for elongated bowl and ADA height. And they have quite a few color choices. We happen to like their version of a softer white - they call it "colonial white". It is still a white - just not a very brash bright white - if you prefer the latter their standard cotton white fits the bill.

One of these toilets has a 40' long horizontal run (same floor - one gentle pitch) inside the house - with two 90 and one 45 turn before finally being directed straight toward the sewer main. It's totally impressive. I can honestly say that line has never clogged up (it's also pitched perfectly and well-vented) since we put it in.

Toto's soft-close seats are TOTALLY AWESOME - say goodbye to "clank!" forever. We have still not had to replace one of these even after 8 years.

If you don't like the style of the Drake 2 and still want Toto, I would avoid their lowest-end models and would mostly recommend the two-piece ones over the one piece models. After 8 years I can honestly say that we have used a plunger perhaps 2-3 times in total, with the Drake 2 (we have 5 of them in two separate houses).

We also do own one Cadet 3 in an upstairs rental. It is literally 3 feet from the vertical 4" waste line. So, there is just no place for anything to get jammed up and there is ridiculous ventilation. That is the only time where we could not justify the extra $100 for a Toto.

Old 05-15-17, 10:15 AM
F
the local lowes store has the american standard clean cadet 3 for 107. is that a good toilet for a good price?

Old 05-15-17, 12:55 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There are a LOT of Cadet 3 models. Is this the same?
https://www.lowes.com/pd/American-St...Toilet/3306730

Yes, $107 is a good price for that model. Here's something you may wish to read. Terry's site is GREAT for "toilet stuff": https://terrylove.com/forums/index.p...ity-etc.65613/

This one looks to have only a 2" trapway but a 2 1/8" isn't much bigger. It sure looks a lot like the Drake, if one believes in coincidences ...

Old 05-15-17, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator
The champion 4 is preferred IMO because its a 4" flapper. Biggest in the industry. I have never seen one clog in my 35 plus years as a plumber..

Old 05-15-17, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator
Here's something you may wish to read. Terry's site is GREAT for "toilet stuff": https://terrylove.com/forums/index.p...ity-etc.65613/
That site didnt say much and in fact stated the cadet 3 had poor bowl wash ability's..

Jefferson just a note: Slow it down pal. Please read the rules of the forums. Some of your posts are borderline infraction territory..

Just a word of caution as I hate to see members get banned..

Old 05-16-17, 03:47 AM
F
I still am looking around at different toilets and there are so many makes and models it is confusing. I hate to buy one that does not flush well, how embarrasing would that be to return a toilet after it was used a couple of days? send me out an suggestions you can think of and thanks for the help.

frank

Old 05-16-17, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator
A/S champion 4 would be my recommendation. But they are $$$. If money is your concern go with the $ cadet.

American Standard Champion 4 Max Right Height 2-piece High-Efficiency 1.28 GPF Single Flush Elongated Toilet in White-2586.128ST.020 - The Home Depot

Old 05-16-17, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator
Also I dont see a $100 cadet in stores...?

Old 05-16-17, 02:42 PM
F
they had the cadets at the local lowes for 107. on clearance

Old 05-16-17, 02:47 PM
F
another question, if the wax ring under the toilet doesn't seal will it cause the toilet to lose suction for flushing?

Old 05-16-17, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator
another question, if the wax ring under the toilet doesn't seal will it cause the toilet to lose suction for flushing?

No.. .

Old 05-16-17, 05:29 PM
F
thanks for the information.

Old 05-17-17, 04:01 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by frank1046
". . . . they had the cadets at the local lowes for 107. on clearance . . . .'
But that's one of the toilets that customers have said had "poor wash ability" . . . . and that's the very problem that you've set out to solve.

Maybe that relates to why Lowes has them on clearance ?

Old 05-17-17, 05:59 AM
H
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
There is no shortage of opinions on this, so here's my take. I have long been a Toto Drake fan and have installed a few hundred, including two in my house with a combined 25 yrs on the pair. I have replaced fill valves in both with Fluidmasters and flappers about every 5 yrs. Never a flush problem.

Most recently I have installed 5 Deltas ($129 and only sold @HD). All are in rentals, with the oldest being two yrs. So far, good flushes and no problems. A concern is that I don't know if they accept universal repair parts. The last 4 of these are in my own rental duplex and I can document that they reduce water consumption 55 gal/day in a unit with two people.

Old 05-19-17, 03:14 AM
F
do those delta/s have a series or particular name they go by? do they have the toto brand at hd also?

Old 05-19-17, 03:23 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by frank1046
". . . do they have the toto brand at hd also? . . ."
Their website seems to indicate that they do:

Toto - The Home Depot

Old 05-19-17, 10:14 AM
H
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
I think that there is just one Delta toilet and it is marketed by HD and stocked in stores. I have never seen a Toto on the floor there. I think they are online only. While I am a big Toto fan, I would avoid their full skirted models. They are hard to install and even harder to work on if you have problems with the seat. I installed one of these designer beauties in 2009 and have been back 3 times since with seat problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: