Hand-held shower head hose leaking

Old 05-25-17, 09:00 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hand-held shower head hose leaking

I have this shower head hose, one connected to the water outlet on the shower wall, the other side to the shower head.

Recently I found the hose was leaking from the connector to the water outlet, actually below the connector (so the washer in that connector might not be the reason?) Red circled in the pix.

Do I just need a new hose or it's some simple fix? Thanks a lot.
Name:  hose.jpg
Views: 10099
Size:  28.5 KB

Old 05-25-17, 09:43 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
If the washer is removable, (many aren't) I'd try replacing that first. Otherwise you can replace the hose. They are pretty standard, but vary a lot in quality. I prefer the metal ones over the beige plastic ones or the plastic ones plated to look like metal. You can tell by the weight; the metal ones are a lot heavier than the plastic ones.

Old 05-25-17, 09:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
If you remove and reattach the hose often it might be the gasket or it's just loose. Otherwise look closely for cracks in the fitting and where the hose joins. You may need to replace the hose.

Old 01-23-18, 07:04 AM
M
Update: I actually changed for another set of showerhead + hose about two three months ago. But just this morning, I found the same leak at the same position on the new hose. I twisted open, gasket is new and looked alright, tried to replace it with some replacement gaskets I bought from lowes and amazon (surprisingly, all these gaskets were a tad smaller than the one in the hose, but lowes seems to sell them at one size for all). Nothing helped.

Do you think adding a few rounds of tefon seals at the bottom of where it leaks (water just oozing out from the bottom of that joint (where you can push out when changing gasket and all)? I honestly don't what else other than another set.

Attached Images  
Old 01-23-18, 08:21 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
That fitting doesn't seal on the threads so tape wouldn't help, plus your leak is not coming out around the threads.. If gaskets are not solving the problem I would look closely at the fittings. Many are made of plastic and over tightening often causes them to crack and break. With a good gasket finger/hand tight is all it takes. With a wrench it's surprisingly easy to tighten too much.

Your leak is no minor little leak. I would say you don't have a gasket installed or something is broken.

Old 01-23-18, 09:55 AM
M
Gasket is definitely there and I could not tell anything cracked (at least not the white plastic thing right underneath the gasket), fitting is hard plastic, not seeing obvious crack either. But I will take a closer look. This new handheld was put on by some contractor for free when he came to do smart energy saving audit for my utility company. He did not use wrench on the fitting (where it was leadking now) and it was actually working alright last night. This morning when I turned it on and started to notice the leak.

Side note, I do have two showerheads (without the handheld and hose, just a head). I should be able to remove the handheld holder and put that showerhead on (one size/threads fit all?)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: