Bathroom sink facuet dripping (hot water side), cartridge replacement?


Old 05-26-17, 03:02 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 70
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom sink facuet dripping (hot water side), cartridge replacement?

So my bathroom sink faucet is dripping (hot water side). researched and found cartridge might need replacement. I removed the handle and saw the cartridge and seemingly a retaining nut. However, unlike most of the youtube videos showned, that metal piece holding the plastic cartridge is mostly round with a very shallow hex on the top. Essentially my wrench can only grab on the round area mostly, which seems to be strange design if that's supposed to be a removable part.

I tried to turn it but instead of the metal nut loosen, the whole base plate went loose and started to turn, and I can feel it was dragging the water lines down below so I stopped and came here to ask if that's the right way to remove the cartridge.

I attached a pix with some captions for your reference.Thanks a lot.

Name:  facuet.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  25.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-26-17 at 05:35 PM. Reason: pic
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-17, 03:45 PM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 39,965
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
The hex will turn independently of the round part. You probably need to put a pair of pliers on the round part and try loosening the hex with a better wrench, possibly closed end if possible. Don't forget to turn the water off at the stops
Old 05-26-17, 04:17 PM
Handyone's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: U.S.
Posts: 5,450
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You might need a helper to hold the valve body from below.
You can also retighten the body from below.
I've ran into this before, here's a typical Moen widespread faucet, others are similar:

Name:  moenwidespread.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  48.9 KB
Old 05-26-17, 05:03 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 70
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
@chandler, are u sure that the hex part should turn independently? The hex part is only 3-4 mm tall, that I don't see any common wrench to be able to grab on for that much space...
Old 05-26-17, 06:06 PM
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 4,834
Received 79 Votes on 74 Posts
Any deep well socket that fits that size fitting will work.
There is no need for pliers or channel locks!
That bottom fitting will only turn so far and stop.
A simple tap on the ratchet will work better than trying to twist it by hand.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: