1 or 2 part toilet - your thoughts?

Old 06-06-17, 08:04 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1 or 2 part toilet - your thoughts?

Just wanted to ask - I had a problem with a 2 part toilet leaking at the tank / bowl connection.

Seems to me that a 1 part toilet would solve that? There's no gasket between them? It's all ceramic, molded together? 1 less place for a problem?

Yes, more expensive in general?
Yes, more weight in that 1 part vs. being able to handle 2 parts seperately.

Beyond that? What's your preference? Seems the home improvement stores have MANY more 2 part toilets to choose from.

Old 06-06-17, 08:53 AM
Received 953 Votes on 865 Posts
have / had both, one piece units we tend to put in the decorative half baths, the 2 piece tend to go everywhere else. personal preference.

Old 06-06-17, 09:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 602 Posts
For the most part, the 2 piece commodes are bullet proof where they join together. It's rare to have one leak there. I've had to replace my commodes before but never because it had a leak between the tank and the bowl.

Old 06-06-17, 09:07 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
marq - thanks. I realized I worded the question wrong.... I wasn't really looking for cosmetic preference..... more if you have an opinion of the reliability / function of 1 vs. 2 part.

I'm thinking the 1 piece has the chance for higher reliability because you do away with the washer between the tank and bowl of the 2 part configuration? But as I also say, at least looking at the row of choices at Home Depot, 2 part wins the day in variety available. I guess most everyone isn't focusing on problems that might crop up down the road?

I probably should too?!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: