Dietary sink drain

Old 06-08-17, 03:41 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dietary sink drain

I've got a leaking sink drain in the kitchen in the facility where I work. There are eight of these sinks and I've done this procedure before with no problem. I unscrew the large nut holding the drain lip to the sink. Get rid of the black, ribber seal between the nut and the bottom of the sink. Put some new putty under the lip and tighten the nut underneath. This particular sink has the same setup. The problem is that I can't turn the nut at all. It's rock solid frozen in place. I've tried 16" channel locks on the nut and a pipe wrench on a sink drain wrench grabbing it from underneath. It won't budge. This facility was built in 1996, so, it's been there since then. Any suggestions on how to get the nut off?

Old 06-08-17, 04:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
If it looks corroded you can spray it with PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench, let it sit for a while and see if it loosens.

Other choices are to cut the nut and replace it.

Old 06-08-17, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
I cut the nut off with a tiny tim.

Its white metal so once cut it splits easy.

Replace with a whole new strainer..

Old 06-08-17, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
sry may be a Jersey thing but we call them tiny Tim's.. Ive been calling it that for 30 years..

The kids dont get it...

Old 07-05-17, 05:54 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the advise. Sorry it took so long to reply. I bought a tiny tim saw. I can only order parts at the beginning of each month. So, I added a new strainer to my July order and did the repair today. The large nut below cut off amazingly easy, and installed the new strainer. Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: