kitchen sink grease clog? with septic tank.

Old 07-16-17, 08:57 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
kitchen sink grease clog? with septic tank.

My kitchen sink keeps getting clogged with grease from food/dishwasher/soap and the wife! I caught her pouring bacon grease down the drain one day

I have managed to get it unclogged with a snake, i snaked it a few times and everytime it had soap/grease on the end but water is flowing again. My pipes are PVC i think.

Is there anything i can use that would eat away at the grease that is natural? I have a alternative septic tank not a normal one so i have to be careful of what goes down the drain or i was told it can throw of the balance of the bacteria in my tank.

I was looking at bio-clean but am looking for other solutions.

I don't know what else to do but get a plumber in with a hydro jet, i heard they work great for grease.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-17, 10:08 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 622 Votes on 575 Posts
There is no greater sin than allowing grease to go down the drain. Aside from your immediate problems of a clogged drain line you probably also have a septic problem brewing. I would have your septic tank pump as soon as possible and since your wife seems to love pouring grease down the drain I would plan on having it pumped yearly. Also, when the tank is pumped have the outlet examined to see if there is a filter. If there is none have one installed immediately.

Grease already in the pipes can only be removed mechanically. There are products that claim to work but I have never seen them have any affect other than to empty your wallet.

Old 07-16-17, 11:06 AM
Received 367 Votes on 342 Posts
My kitchen sink keeps getting clogged with grease from food/dishwasher/soap and the wife
There is no greater sin than allowing grease to go down the drain.
The worst sin is grease and septic.

Seriously, nothing goes into a septic system other than pee, poo, and white toilet paper.

Everything else, soap, dishwasher, even a grinder, is in such small proportions that it should not cause a problem.

Old 07-16-17, 11:57 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Septic has already been pumped. Wife stopped doing it after we had trouble.

So none of the products out there eat grease?

Old 07-16-17, 03:45 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
When teaching my daughter chores, hers was to fill the dishwasher. We had fried chicken and had a large cast iron pan with about an inch of vegetable shortening in it. She poured the whole lot down the drain. I just about flipped out. I took 3 of my largest pots plus one stock/crab pot and filled with water and put on the stove. Brought each up to a hard boil and then dumped them one by one down the drain to melt the grease and push it along the way. I figured the volume of boiling water would keep it hot enough to do the trick. That was several years ago and haven't have any issues since.