Walk in shower with tub

Old 08-13-17, 06:48 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Walk in shower with tub

Hello all, I am currently working on a bathroom remodel. The current setup is (or was) a simple walk in shower. I have torn out everything down to the studs and concrete. I am going to be installing a drop in tub in place of the walk in shower, but also adding a walk in shower before you get to the tub. I have attached a picture of the idea. Mine will be somewhat similar to this but with a window. My questions are with the drain and waterproofing.

Name:  Shower with Tub.jpg
Views: 26297
Size:  32.0 KB

With the waterproofing, I plan on using 4mil plastic and durock over the studs prior to starting the tub frame. The tub frame I plan on using pressure treated 2x4's along with the 4mil plastic and durock then will add the membrane for the shower pan after the tub frame is complete. Is there anything special I should do with waterproofing the tub since the shower area will be open to the tub area?

With the drain, can I simply tee off before the current p-trap to add the second p-trap?

Thanks

Old 08-13-17, 07:07 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
May I suggest to make the shower wheel chair accessible. In other words, no curb. Put a trench drain in front of it. You may not need it now but we aren't getting any younger.

I would run the traps separately to the main drain.

Old 08-13-17, 08:19 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I think the drains need to be separate or the tub could drain into the shower instead of into the main stack.

Have to be careful on your drop in tub. Difficult to waterproof as you only have a bead of caulk to prevent leaks getting under the tub rim. I think the unit in the picture is an alcove tub that you could tile the front of as opposed to just a drop in. The tub deck looks like it extends under the walls and probably has a tile flange already built into it. How close is the shower going to be to the tub?

Old 08-13-17, 09:31 AM
J
Your definitely not kidding about the getting younger part...

Not a bad idea about the trench drain. Will look into that as an option. The space I am working with is roughly 72" x 100" measured stud to stud. The tub is 66" x 36", the shower is basically taking up the rest of the space, but was thinking of having 3 feet wide for the shower.

What if I installed the membrane for the shower in the entire area prior to building the tub frame. Then run a second membrane just for the shower pan? Not sure if that would just cause problems later on with water getting trapped between layers. Another thought would be to build up the area where the drop in tub meets the deck raising it off of the decking surface.

Old 08-13-17, 09:50 AM
Send a link to your tub so I can get a picture in my head to assist.

Old 08-13-17, 10:40 AM
J
Two links of the one im using. It's just a soaking tub, not the whirlpool style shown in one of the pictures.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Jacuzzi-66-...rain/999908725

http://www.jacuzzi.com/baths/bathtub...ection-soaking

Last edited by jbob0124; 08-13-17 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Fixed link
Old 08-13-17, 11:11 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Over the years I have had many showers with various amounts of glass and lessons learned, the more glass you have the more you will hate it, cleaning, spotting, it only looks as good as in the picture once.

My current walk in shower has no glass, and it;s the best set up we have ever had!

Old 08-13-17, 11:26 AM
J
The door opening has yet to be finalized. After pricing the glass doors at my local home improvement store, im not much of a fan either. If I do end up with glass doors, they definitely won't be as large as shown in the picture.

Old 08-13-17, 02:29 PM
Hopefully, you chose the tub with the alcove installation and tile flange or you will be asking for issues down the road. A traditional drop in as mentioned has only a bead of sealant to waterproof it and those are meant as stand alone units not integrated into a shower of any type.

Old 08-13-17, 03:36 PM
J
Great...Pretty sure its just the drop in which has already been ordered. Will see if I can convince the boss to change her plans.

what about overlapping a second membrane down to the shower pan membrane along with using the raised edge? See the screen shot below.

Name:  bathtub.jpg
Views: 1889
Size:  14.0 KB

Old 08-13-17, 09:38 PM
Going to assume that the tub flange that sits on the deck is not hollow and instead is solid for support, so getting the membrane to curl up under it is not likely to happen. Balance of your idea is sound, but it still leaves you with caulking as your main deterrent to water infiltration on the tub deck.

Old 08-14-17, 02:43 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Pretty sure its just the drop in which has already been ordered
Use a Ditra or Prova membrane on the entire shower, then just set the tub inside and never have to worry about leaks.

Membrane installation is new tech and the only way to get 100% leak free.

Name:  DSC03132.jpg
Views: 1784
Size:  21.2 KB

Old 08-14-17, 04:02 PM
J
Thanks all for the info. Will wait until I have the tub to make any final decision's on the installation.

Old 08-14-17, 09:52 PM
S
Marq1:
If you have no glass, what are you using?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: