Can't remove old broken toilet seat

Old 09-02-17, 08:35 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Can't remove old broken toilet seat

I am losing my mind. This should not be this hard!

One of the brass hinges on the old toilet seat failed due to a plastic center rod. Okay, bought a new toilet seat. The old hinges are not the type that you flip up a plastic flap and hold the bolt in place with a screw driver as you secure the nut underneath. The hinge and the bolt are all one piece. However, the nut is plastic and it's been on there a long time and it's very tight. I have tried everything to get that nut off and it won't budge; it just keeps stripping so nothing can get a grip on it.

I eventually broke the whole seat off and now have two hinges I cannot remove. I have spent three days and used every tool I have and nothing.

any tricks for this? It's just too stupid to have to replace a whole toilet for this.

Old 09-02-17, 08:48 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Dremel tool or Sawzall is my usual way.

Last edited by ray2047; 09-03-17 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-02-17, 09:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,183 Likes on 2,858 Posts
Even a short cut off saw will work.

Attached Images  
Old 09-03-17, 07:34 PM
T
Thanks for writing back, guys.

Well, I tried a hacksaw blade yesterday, and couldn't get it underneath the hinge head to work on the bolt beneath. Those plastic nuts are really on there. Finally I broke out my Rockwell oscillating tool, but pretty much takes out everything, but it didn't even make a groove.

I've tried every wrench I've got to try to hold that nut in place while I use a big monkey wrench to turn the hinge head from the top. But when I feel underneath, the nut is just turning with the bolt. The plastic nuts are so stripped, nothing really grabs them.

Is this a job only a professional can do? Who uses plastic nuts on brass hinges?
Help!

Old 09-03-17, 08:08 PM
R
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
You might want to try a hair dryer, set it on high and soften the plastic. I would use a heat gun but it could get too hot. Get them hot and try unscrewing them or breaking them off the threads "Carefully"!

Old 09-04-17, 04:11 AM
V
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've used a hammer and chisel to split the plastic/nylon nuts, and then spread them to slide off.

Old 09-04-17, 07:00 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I have cut the nut top to bottom (vertically) with a dremel and driven in a flat tip screw driver to split it.

Old 09-04-17, 05:56 PM
J
Can you try to grip the nut with Vise Grip pliers?

Old 09-04-17, 08:24 PM
T
Thank you all for trying but I am giving up. I dug out my vice grip wrench and tried that upon your suggestions but still no luck. I can't get any of the wrenches squarely on the nut because it is recessed behind that porcelain lip on the edge of the toilet. I have now done some serious stress to my wrists trying to grip that thing but it still hasn't budged.

Is a plumber the right guy to call for this? I have a couple of other things I could have him do at the same time.

Anyway, thanks for your input.

Aloha,

Tina

Old 09-04-17, 08:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,579 Likes on 1,415 Posts
Grind the head off the bolt and the bolt and nut will fall right out.

Old 09-05-17, 04:46 AM
J
If you have other things that you need a plumber for then he/she could take care of this too. A plumber will be able to take care of this but plumber's are relatively expensive compared to a handyman. Anybody with the tools and mechanical know-how should be able to take care of this and will be less expensive than a plumber. Can you post a picture of the toilet bolt area so we can see what the situation looks like.

Last edited by JIMMIEM; 09-05-17 at 04:49 AM. Reason: add info

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: