Slow drip from fitting behind the garbage disposal?

Old 09-12-17, 05:23 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Slow drip from fitting behind the garbage disposal?

I do not even know what this part is. Please see the pictures.
This is behind the garbage disposal unit and has no connection to garbage disposal as far as I can see.
It is dripping drop by drop. Thanks in advance.

Attached Images    
Old 09-12-17, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That looks like a rubber hose thru the wall into an 1-1/4" cap. It appears to be tied into the drain system. It could also be some type of rubber coupler. You may be able to tighten the clamp. I'm not sure it's the proper thing to have in a wall.

The sink was probably connected there at one time. The question is..... why isn't it still connected there and where is it connected now ?

Attached Images  
Old 09-12-17, 06:24 PM
S
Why is a supposed abandoned drain leaking water? Double check and make sure the leak isn't originating above that coupler and dripping down it. Otherwise cjmax is right tighten the clamps although the one doesn't look very accessible. Worst case you cut the drywall.

Old 09-13-17, 03:59 AM
You have a couple of problems. The PVC hex adapter is threaded. The threads will not seal well against the rubber.
Another problem is the rubber connector is flexible and should not be used.

I would remove the PVC adapter and the rubber coupler and install a rubber Jim Cap. You should be able to tighten the Jim cap with a 5/16" box end wrench.

An alternative is installing a shielded no-hub coupler in place of the flexible connector and that should stop the leak, even though the PVC adapter is threaded. The no hub has barbs inside the rubber sleeve and will grab the fitting better.

Attached Images    

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: